Getting Organized with G-docs

Discussion in 'Computer and Internet' started by cherylad, Mar 22, 2012.

1. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

So... I played hookie from work today. And it was rainy all morning. So I took the opportunity to get my garden notes, etc organized.
    Main problem... two computers (work & home) and as much as I tried, I could never remember to update stuff on both computers. And I'm notorious for just jotting down a plant's name or some pertinent/interesting info on a piece of paper. "Dang, where did I put that?"
    Then I had a "light-bulb" moment... Google Documents! Duh! One document that can be accessed on any computer.
    So, I created a "wish list" document. And a master list of my plants and their blooming periods (I'm aiming for year 'round color). Even started one to keep track of who gave me what and what I have promised to give in return.
    Next, is a seed starting/sprouting list. And when I really have nothing to do at work... I can add photos! (ssshhhhh... don't tell my boss, ok?)

2. Loading...

3. Henry Johnson

Henry Johnson In Flower

Cheryl, you might consider a flash drive; you could store all your docs on it and carry it around in your pocket... Just a thought, I use them (flash-drives) a lot... Hank

4. cherylad

Hank... I have two of them. But sometimes I forget to save to them.
    Google Documents is working great (so far). Saved in one place... and accessible from anywhere. I just have to remember to back it up occasionally.

5. JesseN

JesseN New Seed

I love Google docs and drop box. They do wonders for my business.

Advertisement
  6. cherylad

Jesse... that's how I learned about it... from my job. We can now keep our entire team and our sales reps throughout the state updated all at once.
    Which reminds... I need to update some info on my flower list!

7. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Hiyah Cheryl.
    Google docs and the various cloud schemes are without a doubt methods to give you info access to your docs from any compi.
    You could also publish a website and keep them on there.

But I am with Hank that using an USB pen or a flash drive would be my first choice.I also make great use with these. I like being "portable", I carry a mail program and browser (in "app form") on these things, but also docs, foto's and various programs. That way I can use on any computer anywhere
    I find that the google folks assemble too much personal knowledge as it is. hahaha.

I guess the bottom line is whatever serves your needs the best and what you, personally are happiest with.

8. JesseN

JesseN New Seed

You should try dropbox. It works just like a USB but much better and more space.
    It's on the cloud so you never have to worry about data loss. One of my USB's broke and I lost a bunch of important stuff which caused me to move everything to the cloud (dropbox).

9. SusieQ07

SusieQ07 In Flower

Yep, I use dropbox, they give you 50GB free, I also use Adrive another one gives you free storage, and I use flash drives or burn to DVD's

10. cherylad

I haven't messed around the dropbox... yet. :)