Getting ready to start a Day Lily bed

Discussion in 'Daylily' started by cherylad, Jan 28, 2011.

1. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

My mom just loved her "regular ol' orange" Day Lilies... well all lilies really. So I decided to make a special bed just for lilies. Picked up the following bulbs already:
    Night Beacon, El Desperado, Red Rum and Dream Legacy.
    I'll also "steal" a couple of her old plants and add to these.
    Also picked up a mixed bag of Asiatic Lilies and a bag or Asiatic "Oklahoma City" ones.
    Hurry up last frost!

2. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Sounds lovely!

3. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

Wow!! Great choices!! I especially like Night Beacon. I may look for that one next time I go to add to my daylily garden. A local nursery has thousands to choose from:) I look forward to each and every flower to have its day in the sun. Your mom will love the colors.

Jerry

4. cherylad

Jerry... that one was the first one I picked out. Hope mine grow to be as pretty as the one's on the package!
    And my Mom passed away a couple of years ago. This will be sort of a tribute to her love of lilies.

Advertisement
  5. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

Many years ago I started my daylily garden from plants taken from my mothers garden. She too had a love of gardening. Something I'm glad I inherited. Those lilies especially remind me of her. Each flower, each day, each mother we find cherished moments.

Jerry

cherylad likes this.
  6. cherylad

Well.... not one of the Daylilies sprouted (only the Asiatics). I can't remember if I got them from HD or Lowes. I planted to the recommended depths. Were they duds? Anybody else run into this problem with store-bought bulbs?
    And with the Fall just around the corner (hopefully), my thoughts have returned to that bed.
    There is a Day Lily farm not far from me in Kenefick that I'd like to visit and get plants. I've already gone through their website and picked out some that I'd like to have.
    Is it best to wait until Spring? Or would it be okay to plant some now? We won't get any freezing temps here for probably another 2-3 months (zone 9a).

7. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I planted several daylily bulbs in March, only a couple of the sent up green leaves then died. Now I am finding more green coming up from some of them. Maybe yours will revive too.

You could dig up in that area to see if you can find any of the bulbs.

8. cherylad

I did dig them up once ... right around mother's day (2nd weekend of May). A few of the bulbs looked healthy so I replanted them. Still nothing. I'd hate to go in and disturb them if there's a chance they could still grow.
    Do they typically resprout in the Fall?

9. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

After the spring and summer we had I don't think there is any typical behavior for plants in our gardens. They do what they can, when they can and we hope for the best :rolleyes:

I have a large group of them out back, they sprout in the fall and last until a freeze takes them out then in Spring they sprout again and bloom several weeks later.
    The heat kept them from blooming last spring and all the leaves died. Now there are new sprouts about 8" tall.

10. cherylad

Okay.... I'll just leave the bed alone until Spring. I do want to add some more varieties, so this will give me time to start a savings jar for my visit to that Day Lily farm! :-D

11. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

My only advice would be to keep Mom's "regular ol' orange" in a corner. My "regular ol' orange spread like wildfire!!! :eek: They quickly took over the whole bed!!! The other varieties don't seem quite as aggressive, except for Stella D-Oro. She's kind of a wild gal too :D

12. cherylad

I'll keep an eye on those 2 "wild girls"! I can already tell that I need to expand that bed.

13. Kay

Kay Girl with Green Thumbs

Yes Cheryl, Those orange ones are very prolific!! They should be planted away from their more-well- behaved Lily sisters. :stew2:

14. Petronius

Petronius Young Pine

Cherylad, Your post was very informative on how a daylily farm is operated. I did not know how the plants were sold.