Going to have to start a bigger container water garden

Discussion in 'Water Gardening' started by cherylad, Jul 22, 2010.

1. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

I have 3 little container water gardens. The only flowering plants that I have are the Louisiana Black Iris (which only flower in the springtime). I've been wanting to add something that flowers in the summer and fall. So, I finally decided to order some water lilies.
    I picked out some that said they were "miniature" (a Reflective Flame) and "small to medium" (Lemon Mist). I asked if they would be okay for a small container, and was told "yes".
    I got the package yesterday. I was expecting little starter plants. But got full grown HUGE plants... even with buds ready to flower! :eek:

[​IMG]
    water lilies ( photo / image / picture from cherylad's Garden )

There was no way that either of them would fit into the container I had in mind. So I had to temporarily put them in this big 30 gallon plastic tub.
    (The Flame is on the left... Lemon Mist on the right).
    I guess in the water lily world... "miniature" and "small" just don't mean the same as with other plants!
    :headscratch:

So now I have to set up a larger container. I have a couple of huge plastic pots that could be used once I get a liner. Or I may just buy a "pond". All depends on the prices.
    But that's not my biggest quandry... now I have that small container just sitting there empty.
    I sent an email to the place where I got the lilies and asked for their input as to what other plants I could get that are truly "small". Haven't heard back from them yet.

In the meantime, thought I'd ask here...
    Any suggestions for small long-flowering water plants? I really like the look of floaters... but also like for the flowers to be upright/more visible.
    Not asking for too much, am I? :D

2. Loading...

3. Delly

Delly In Flower

I love cattails in smaller water gardens, when they get too big (thick) just pull some and transplant elsewhere!

4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Cheryl I'd go for something like Eleocharis acicularis (Spike Rush )or Juncus effusus spiralis (Corkscrew Rush) they add interest to even a very small water feature. They only grow to around 15cm (6inches) tall and need only about the same depth of water.
    Pistia stratoides (Water Lettuce) and Stratiotes aloides (Water Soldier) are also worth considering - especially since Water Soldier is seldom seen in the wild nowadays so you'd be doing your bit for conservation too. :-D

5. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

Thanks for the input. You know... I picked up some Corkscrew Rush off the mark-down rack earlier this year. Didn't know it could be placed in water! And it hasn't been really looking to great. Maybe that's what it really needs? Think I'll do a little reading on it and give it a try. Thanks for the other suggestions too!