Golden Wonder Senna

Discussion in 'Houseplants' started by gardening_is_fun, Nov 2, 2006.

1. gardening_is_fun

gardening_is_fun New Seed

Hello everyone,

New here and I need some help. We have a Cassia Splendida That we kept outside all year long. It started getting bigger and bigger while it was out until it got too big to stand up on it's own. Since we live in zone 7b, there is no way we can keep it outside so we moved it inside. We have a solarium that we added on not too long ago that we keep it in, but, due to it's enormous size, we need to tie it up to keep it from falling over. We accidentally broke some of the branches that are still green and noticed that they are hollow inside like a straw. This is where my question comes in.

We would like to prune it back, however, we don't know what the old growth is like, whether it is hollow inside like the new growth is or not. I would like to know whether the old wood fills in as it is hardening off or not and if they backbud easily. Anything else you could tell me about them would be great as well.

2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Sorry I can't help you out with this one as I've never grown a cassia myself but I did find a website about them that may help you.

http://www.naba.org/pubs/ab97c/p12.html

It doesn't, however, say anything at all about hollow stems.

4. gardening_is_fun

Thank you for that link. It was very informative, however it did not mention anything about the hollow stems, as you said, which is my main concern right now. There are other Q's I would like answered as well, but it seems I might have to do a more thorough web search for what I want, especially if no one else can help me.

5. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

I don't think I ever heard of the plant and for sure never had one.I'm very sorry not to be able to help.

Advertisement
  6. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

Stick around Pondlady may know lots about this plant .She will be here tomorrow I'm sure.

7. gardening_is_fun

Don't worry, I plan on sticking around.