Good Tools Can Make A Difference

Discussion in 'Gardening Other' started by Sjoerd, May 27, 2010.

1. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Here we have a saying, "Good tools are half the work" (literally translated)...meaning that if one has good tools then his work will only be half as difficult.

I enjoy looking at various tools and understanding how they work..it is also a habit of mine to see if I can use a tool that was designed for one task to do another. There really aren't any rules prohibiting this are there?

Ok then, now for a display of some tools that I use frequently and as well as some that could be called, "speciality tools" for specific jobs that occur infrequently.

I begin with a foto of some of the hand tools that I like to use.
    This numbered, circular arrangement lets you see them all at once. Below I will give an explanation of their use. The one tool I even have a picture, illustrating the general idea of how it works.
    [​IMG]

1)--This tool is a tool used to scratch/scrape weeds away in-between plants. It's offset handle attachment makes it easy to get close to the stem without one's hand pressing on the lower branches or leaf stems.

2)--The sécateur is one of the best known and most used tools that gardners here use.

3)--The trowel also falls into this category. I like a wide scoop type with bevelled edges for cutting.

4)--The dibber is penetrating tool used to make holes in the soil for planting seeds. I also use it when setting out small plantlets.

5)--This tool is used to remove weeds that have a long taproot like dandelions for instance.
    Here is a foto of a dandelion that I was able to remove with the complete root in tact.
    [​IMG]

This tool I also use to clean grass from in-between stone tiles, digging a small but deep hole to plant plantlets in as well as digging up and transplanting beets it is also the tool of choice for dispatching pests.

6)--The three-pronged scratcher I use to loosen the soil in-between plants--work on a small scale (there is a version with a long handle that I use for large beds or around the base of trees and bushes, as well as plots and beds.

Those were the hand tools; not so unusual, but certainly indispensable to me. This next group--the long handled tools is a bit more specialized in some respects, and quite handy when special jobs are required. I begin with an overall view then I will show close-ups of the "working end" of each tool separately.
    [​IMG]

1)--The stainless steel ladies border fork. I have other forks for lifting root clumps and the rougher work, but this is a real luxury. The stainless steel tines are nice because moist clods and chunks of earth do not adhere to the. The tool slides effortlessly into the soil and after twisting it or lifting it then slides just as effortlessly out. A dream.
    The handle is too short for me to use for an extended time; but then, it is designed for a woman.
    [​IMG]

2)--This "hand plough" is a tool that makes making a furrow to plant spuds or corn in a piece of cake. There is no mule necessary to pull it, just someone with a strong back.
    I also use it to re-plough in-between rows to earth-up my spuds or corn.
    [​IMG]

3)--The newest addition to my growing collection is the swoe ([Wilkinson]sword + hoe). This lightweight tool with a small, bevelled blade makes cutting or removing weeds from in between plants in the middle of a plot a breeze--you can operate it with just one hand!
    [​IMG]

4)--This tool is used to remove grass and weeds from between patio/path tiles. it's long handle means that one doesn't need to spend hours on their knees.
    [​IMG]

5)--This speciality cutting spade is used to remove trees, bushes or anything with tough roots. Not only does it dig, but it cuts through the toughest of roots. The proximal end of the blade has strengthened 'shoulders' so that you can put body weight on it to cut down through the hard roots.
    The distal end of the blade is notched and bevelled to cut. This tool is worth it's weight in gold, literally...when it comes to that unpleasant job of digging up that old stump.
    [​IMG]

6)--This unusual tool with it's spur-like wheels is used to make the cloddy soil fine. A fine tilth is just what one needs when planting seeds in a seed bed outside, and this strange tool does the job.
    [​IMG]

7)--The schoffel. This is my most-used tool, one that I would not want to do without. I use this almost daily to remove weeds from path and plot. I al;so use it to loosen soil superficially without turning it over in preparation to planting. I am hoping to use it a bit less now that I have a swoe. I didn't like taking chances with that big blade so close to the beans and such.
    [​IMG]

8)--The "claw rake", as we call it. It is much larger than it looks on the foto. It is almost 24 inches across and it weighs a ton! This heavy duty tool is for breaking up big clods into small ones and levelling a bed. I have gotten so handy with it over the years that I can get the soil quite fine and the beds "spirit-level"flat. It is indispensable in the spring and after the broad beans and potatos have finished when the beds must be made ready for the next crop, or green manure planting.
    [​IMG]

9)--Finally, the post hole digger. This tool allows one to dig holes in the soil very easily. Holes for sinking poles of all sizes and depths. Unlike the other type of hole gigger with two sticks that must be worked in a pincer-like movement to remove dirt, this one, a person simply bores down into the soil by turning the "T" handle whilst pushing downward. When you have pressed it in the depth of the cutting part, you withdraw it and tap it to make the dirt fall off, then re-enter the hole and push deeper. What a joy this is.
    I can get a 2m pole placed in less than 15 minutes.
    [​IMG]

Well, my keen interest in gardening tools in general leads me also wonder what tools others use in gardening where they live. Perhaps after reading this posting, you will feel moved to post some pics and descriptions of your favourite tools for me to see. I would be very interested.

2. Loading...

3. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

You have a nice selection of tools. I have had most of them but am now down to basic things. I really am not doing much gardening at the moment. It sure helps a lot to have the right one when you need it. But, like most gardeners improvising is a thing learned at a young age. dooley

4. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Well, I don't suppose that there is much time for you to garden, Doley--with all the clean-up and preparation that you guys have been up to.
    I suspect that you will be though ...a little later on.

5. Kay

Kay Girl with Green Thumbs

Sjoerd, What great tools! I too have a fasination for tools. I think I got it from my Dad. I actually have tools that once belonged to him. I like to look at estate sales and other home sales for tools I would like to have.
    I have a lot of the same tools you do! I don't think I am as ambitious as to get them all out and lined up as nice as you did for a photo shoot! :) I like to take good care of them and keep them clean and put in there places. I also do not like to share them! HA
    It is true that the right tool will make the work go much easier! ;)

Advertisement
  6. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Thanks Kay, I'll bet you come across some good tools at those sales.
    I know what you mena about lending tools. They are precious to me, and I do not lend them to just anyone. They are very expensive and the ones that I have are ones that I especially have searched-out.
    I think that I like my tools better than I like my cats. hahahaha!! :D

I don't think they heard that remark. (looking around carefully).

7. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

I like tools a lot too -- like you, Kay, I think it is a gene passed on to me by my father. There are a couple of yours Sjoerd, that I would like to try out! (I wonder if he would lend them to us GS-ers???) Especially the ones for scraping grass and such out of the cracks between walkway pavers. I will take a picture of a couple of my favorites this weekend. I have some that are the same and some that are different.

How do you all keep the blades clean, especially of sharps? I find the sticky sap from pine, yews, etc, just awful to get off the blades....

8. gfreiherr

gfreiherr Young Pine

Very nice collection of tools. I have all of the short handled tools but am envious :D of some of your long handles, in particular the swoe and the cutting spade. As always you did a wonderful job documenting and explaining your post. Is the green shed on your plot and just for your use?

The design of the swoe would come in handly on the golf course if your ball landed in the rough, you would have not problems swinging through the higher grass ;) .

9. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

Like Kay and Daisy, I inherited most of my tools which is very few from my father. Hmmm ... come to think of it the only surviving hand tool is the hoe.

Well Sojerd I am sure you know what kind of hand tools are available here in this country after having spent sometime here. I like your line up of tools and I can see that they are quality build.

My old shovel is still in the process of having a shaft and handle installed by lazy old me :D Actually it is just sitting on my work bench!!!

What tools do I have?? Hmmm ..... well a hoe, the very low quality shovel, a wheel barrow, a very old rake, a 3 prong kind of hoe, old kitchen sisscors :D ..... I try to get some pics up later. :)

10. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

DAISY--I shall be looking to see what you post. I really have no idea what folks use over there.
    Of course I would be willing to lend my tools to GSers...but considering how well you get along with strimmers, I may have to think twice about placing my prized tool in your hands, miss.
    :D Hahahaha...just kidding.
    That pointy scraper really works well and saves me doing alot of bending and knee-work.
    Things to remove pine sap: try PB Blaster, Crisco, butter, gasoline or hand sanitizer with a scowering pad.

GAIL--Thanks. I am glad that yopu like those two tools especially. The swoe is really a pleasue to work with. I can reach quite far with it and becaose it is so light-weight, I can balance myself on one foot and lean waaaaay over and reach the most far away weeds under leafy plants (I sort of look like I'm a ballet dancer with the Bolshoi**chuckle).
    But that root-cutting spade has really prooved it's value time after time. it is a gem of a tool.
    That swoe would indeed be helpful on the golf course...naturally you'd have to be left-handed. ;)
    BTW--that shed is indeed on my lottie and it is for my personal use. It was on there when I took over the lottie and it cost me ~50 euro's.
    It is not in good shape and I had to put a new roof on it a couple of years ago. One of these days, when I find the right house, I shall replace this old one.

KK--Oh good, I will look foreward to seeing what you post on here. I have an old pair of scissors in the lottie as well. I use them for every thing from cutting twine to turning screws (one blade point tip is broken), to pruning and suckering toms to deadheading--it's a very versitile tool.
    What must I think of when you mention the "three pronged kind of hoe"?

11. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

ARRRGH!!!! Was disconnected from the internet for a moment and I lost my whole almost completed post on my hand tools!!! :( OK I'll do it again but not on-line and will post it when I am done!! :scheming: GRRrrrr....

12. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

OK here are the pics of my tools.

[​IMG]
    Tools in a row new & old ( photo / image / picture from KK Ng's Garden )
    The first from the left is my trusty hoe which I inherited it from my father and I use it almost every other day.
    Next in line is the 3 prong hoe like thingy. What I had originally is one with 4 prongs and it is used mainly for digging hard earth or stoney earth like laterite. I used it a lot when we bought our very own Home Sweet Home about 20 years ago. I used it a lot to level the front yard which is mainly laterite and I broke one of the prongs. Tried to get the same type to replace but it was no longer available so have to settle for a 3 prong kind which is much lighter.
    After that is the low quality shovel which I guess there is no need for any introduction. I am surprised that it is still in service.
    Next is a rake.
    [​IMG]
    A simple garden rake ( photo / image / picture from KK Ng's Garden )
    I totally have no idea where this rake came from but I am really thankful I have it. It is really great for leveling beds "spirit level" flat. No it is nothing like your "claw rake," it is light almost like a feather and about 16 inches across. The shaft is a recycled hoe shaft that was broken at the tip. Come to think of it I have not seen any rake other than leaf rake being sold here.

[​IMG]
    A sickle ( photo / image / picture from KK Ng's Garden )
    Got this sickle to cut the savannah like grass about 20 years ago, yes to clear my yard. Now used mainly to trim the weeds around plants and around the house.

[​IMG]
    Basket of Goodies ( photo / image / picture from KK Ng's Garden )
    Goodies in a basket - the blue trowel, the yellow trident like thingy and the red claw came in a set. I bought this in TESCO which was really cheap because I needed a trowel to add earth into a pot. Before acquiring this almost toy like tools I was making use of my bare hands, the most flexible tool I have.
    The yellow handle thingy is something like your tool number 5 but it is not as effective but it is great for loosening small areas of earth.
    The green handle thingy is a pair of sheers and is great for trimming small areas of grass or edging.
    The basket is to keep the tools in place and once in a while I used it to sieve earth for potting.

[​IMG]
    The wheel barrow that came out of retirement. ( photo / image / picture from KK Ng's Garden )
    The wheel barrow, a great piece of tool as a vessel for moving earth and for mixing earth with compost and or sand. Got it about 20years ago, yes to level my yard.

[​IMG]
    Goodies in a recycled Food Container ( photo / image / picture from KK Ng's Garden )
    The expired kitchen scissors, great for cutting anything and the wife will never complaint.
    The teaspoon is great for transplanting seedlings to the beds like a mini shovel. Since I use egg trays as starting pots, the teaspoon is just the right size for the job. Errr .... I stole from the kitchen.
    The two length of bamboo is used to position the seedling during transplanting.
    The container is a recycled food container for takeaway and is great for storing the earth when making the holes for the seedlings.

These are the tools I used to maintain and work in the mini farm which is from seedling to yummy veggies.

Tomorrow if I can I'll post the tools I use from seeds to seedlings or rather from flower to seeds to seedlings. Hope I am not boring you all.

13. bunkie

bunkie Young Pine

what a wonderful topic sjoerd!

kk, you're not boring me! love the pics and the explanations. both your tools and sjoerd's look almost homemade and really sturdy. they seem to be made of good quality, too. tools here seem to be so lightweight and cheaply made. i can't tell you how many hand trowels i've broken...and...once they're broke, they really can't be fixed.

sjoerd, my cow horn i use for planting is all duct-taped up and breaking in several places. our nbeighbor is a wood worker. i'm going to show him your pics of the Dibbler, and see if he can make me one! i'll trade it for transplants he and his wife will be getting!

i'm really impressed with number 5, too! never seen anything like it, but i bet it'd be so useful, as you say, for the long taprooted guys. i'm going to have to look for one.

i really really like the 'hand plow' too! never saw one like that before. i use either my straight hoe or a pointed spade type of hoe i have. yours looks like it's make a better trench. going to have to keep an eye out for that one too!

number 6 with the spurs is a very interesting tool. am going to have hubby takle a look at it. can't say that i ever saw that one either! does the bar lay flat? looks like our wiggle hoe.

oh, man, that post hole digger is to die for! we have the double handle jobber and it really takes strength to lift and dip, etc... i'm going to show this one to hubby too. got to look for one!

i have acquired tools from my dad and others, too. my favorite for pounding stakes in is dad's wooden hatchet. will have to take pics next sunny day. it's one pice of steel with a bit of wood for a handle, around the steel. it also makes good states, and can eliminate a bush in quick time!

my most favorite tool is the wiggle hoe. there's lots of names for it like Hula Hoe, Shuffle Hoe, and such. it's got s kind of stirrup hed that actually wiggles back and forth, cutting weeds from the surface. it's the one on the far left here...

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:BPJD ... _three.jpg

14. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Oh, I know ALL about that, KK...it happems to me frequently--not p[ower loss, it's kjust when I go to post a forum note or a PM...something just happens and the posting or PM is not sent, and it is erased in it's entirety. Very frustrating. I now write most things on a word doc and then cut and paste for security.

But anyway, on to your show: That three pronged impliment looks like something you would swing downwards like the hoew rather than push it into the ground like a shovel--do I see that correctly?
    That old rake looks like it would do the trick when it comes to levelling.
    The sickle I saw over there and would have gotten it had I not been backpacking. I do not have one of those nor doI have a bushaxe. I don't really need them per se, but I most certainaly use one whith cutting the big grass plants down in the spring.
    That is a handy collection of hand tools and using the collandar as a seive is clever.
    Nice paper cutters there--they look positively new, compared to mine. Those things really ARE handy, aren't they. The spoon is another good idea too.
    I have an array of small plastic and large plastic containers that I taks here and there for holding soil or morecommonly--weeds. I separate my weeds into "goodies" and "badies"...then I dispose of them differently.
    I am already looking foreward to tomorrow's posting from you. You most certainalyt NOT boring me with your posting at all!

BUNKIE--Thank you so much for your complimentary words.
    Oh dear me, I am sorry to hear that your old cow horn is trying to bite the dust. I hope your friend can fashion you a dibber that will last longer. With any luck he can lakeit in the same dimentions as your cow horn. Bartering plants for tools is just soooo gardening. Clever woman, you.
    I hope that you can find a #5. Gail said that she had one, so maybe she can help you locate one.
    That hand plough is such a handy thing, I can't say enough good about it. You just whack it into the ground and pull as you back up. Voilá!
    In the spurs tool, that stirrup-like bar has a bevelled edge and actually goes just under the soil when you are pushing and pulling it back and forth. it "cuts" clods breaking them and the wheels grind them fine.
    Oh lordy--those heavy double handled post hole diggers really are tough. I used one when I went over to britain once and I can honestly say that if that was all that I had to dig postholes with, I would have no fences. Plus, the holes that they make are way too wide for the poles that I like to use.
    I haber seen thick wooded mallets fro driving stakes over here, but I have been able to get by with just the hole digger. It just cuts a hole so easily.
    I am interested to see your wiggle hoe better when you get a chance to take pics. I looked at the link you posted, but the pikkie was a bit small for me to see the design well.

I am also hoping that EJ will read this posting and post some of her tools and experience because she gardens for a living and must have a great wealth of knowledge when it comes to tools.

15. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

I absolutely LOVE this thread! I am fascinated by tools and especially the tools that everyone on GS uses.

Sjoerd, as per your comment I will NOT be photographing my weed whacker as you are correct, we are not the best of friends.

KK -- I got a kick out of your picture of the spoon and scissors! No, I wasn't bored at all.

I'm looking forward to seeing the tools other people use -- esp your cow horn thing, what was it, Bunkie?

16. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

OK this is my second half about my hand tools, glad to know I am not boring anyone. Oh ya I forgot to mention one very import piece of hand tool which I used very regularly almost everyday and sometimes a couple of times a day. The watering can, mine is a plastic type and I think it is only about 8 liters or less. I have to make about 8~12 trips a day to water all the veggies and each trip from the mini farm to the furthest away tap is about 200 plus feet. I make use the tap that is the furthest away so that I can some extra workout. :D

Thanks Bunkie, I always make sure that I am gentle with my trowel because it was really difficult for me to decide which one to buy when I shopped for my first trowel. There were so many of them and the quality????? So I went for the cheapest. What is a COW HORN thingy? Will appreciate if you can post a photo of it.

Yes Sojerd you are right, the three prong thingy is used like a hoe. I am sure you can really get a real nice sickle in your area. The one I have I think it is from the same company that made the shovel, they are from China.

Thanks Daisy.

[​IMG]
    Tea seive from England ( photo / image / picture from KK Ng's Garden )
    This is a tea strainer, made in England and it is more than 30 years old. The quality is really good and the brand is "Nut Brown". Now I use it for separating seeds from the other things that come with it. It is great for basils, amaranth, brassicas and whatever seeds that can fit through the holes in the sieve.

[​IMG]
    Seed Container ( photo / image / picture from KK Ng's Garden )
    A variety of used small medicine bottles for storing seeds. Save a lot of space in the fridge.

[​IMG]
    Detergent Scoop ( photo / image / picture from KK Ng's Garden )
    A used laundry detergent scoop is great for transferring seeds from their container to the germination area. Now I germinate all my seeds on kitchen towels, it's great.

[​IMG]
    Straight Tools hehe!!! ( photo / image / picture from KK Ng's Garden )
    From the top, my very first depth indicator - a toothpick with about 3~4mm marked off at the right tip with a marker pen to ensure that the seeds are planted no deeper than that depth. I made this tool because my very first experience of planting seeds I had zero germination for awhile and my eldest daughter said that I must not plant the seeds too deep. She had some experience in planting veggies way before I did and she also pointed out to me the instructions on the seed packets ......... how stupid of me!!! Now I do not use this anymore after finding out seeds can be started in kitchen towel right here in Kitchen Stew.
    The tongs is great for picking the seeds out from the detergent scoop to neatly arrange them on the kitchen towel for germination.
    This piece of bamboo is for very light firming up of the potting media after transferring the germinated seeds to the starter pots.
    The last piece of bamboo is for making the tiny hole in the starting pot for the germinated seeds. The left side of the bamboo is cut with a bevel for easy lifting of the germinated seeds with its roots to be planted in the starter pot. The beveled have to be wetted for it to work well.

[​IMG]
    Mortar & Pestle ( photo / image / picture from KK Ng's Garden )
    Since the kitchen was invaded by food processors, blenders, millers, choppers .......... this poor old mortar and pestle was left idle until I gave it a new job of breaking up compost to finer bits to be used as a starting media.

[​IMG]
    Pounded Compost ( photo / image / picture from KK Ng's Garden )
    An old ice cream box is great for storing pounded compost and the recycled plastic spoon is great for scooping the pounded compost into the prepared egg trays for planting germinated seeds.
    [​IMG]
    Colonel Sanders KFC ( photo / image / picture from KK Ng's Garden )
    The spoon is from Colonel Sanders of Kentucky Fried Chicken.

[​IMG]
    Battery Water Dispenser Bottle ( photo / image / picture from KK Ng's Garden )
    A used battery water dispenser is great for topping up the water for the seedlings tray because no water will come out unless the bottle is pressed. The water will also stop flowing when the pressure is released.

[​IMG]
    Nursery in Recycled Disposable Food Containers ( photo / image / picture from KK Ng's Garden )
    Recycled disposable food container is also used for containing the seedlings trays.

Well I guessed that cover all the kind of hand tools I used for operating my mini farm. :-D