Gophers! Will the madness ever end?

Discussion in 'Wildlife in the Garden' started by lexxivexx, Aug 24, 2007.

1. lexxivexx

lexxivexx In Flower

Breaking News:

This morning I came out to take pictures of "this alleged garden that everyone else has seen" for my Momma, who uses the same guilt trip for my baked goods. I saw that the dirt pile I'd flattened last night (I thought Robbie or the dog next door had done something silly) was, in fact, very un-flat again....

"Honeeeeey, will you come out here and look at this?"
    "Yes, Dear."
    *points and pouts* "Did yoooou do this?"
    He shakes his head no.
    "Can ant hills happen overnight?"
    "Babe, that's a gopher hole. Look, their's more..."

I'm actually a little flattered. I've never had a yard that was very appealing to anything mammalian. The closest I'd ever come to a wild-life "problem" was when pigeons would fly into my second story apartment. I suppose the novelty will wear off eventually. *makes voice monotone and tilts head side-to-side lack luster* Does anyone know how to ward them off humanely?

2. Loading...

3. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

I battle Groundhogs at work. I heard that if you put kitty litter down the hole they would move on. I brought to work a bag of used (but sifted!) kitty litter and threw it down the hole. It worked!! Hopefully this might work for Gophers, even though the holes look a lot smaller.

4. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

I know one thing you will find bulbs in places you never dreamed of sooner or later as they may not eat them but will move them.I found one from my moms old yard in the field across from me blooming .I now have it in my yard.
    They do cut off plants or pull them into the hole .I go buy Gopher poison at the feed store I am really careful open the run and put some in and take the top of a # 2 can after I cut it completely from the can and put it over the hole set a pot plant on top .If the poison is messed with that one is gone but if you have one you usually will have more so get ready.

5. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

Sometimes you can chase them away by sticking those little or big whirligigs in the ground. As they spin the stick vibrates and causes a noise that they don't like so they move on.