Grand-daughters having a hard time

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by 2ofus, Jul 22, 2015.

1. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

Our youngest granddaughter, 15, had all 4 of her wisdom teeth removed and they were deeply imbedded so she is in quite a lot of pain. She decided to stay with us as her Mom works nights. It's a good thing that I stay up late and Mike gets up early as we are up and down with her. Not that she tries to wake us but the pain meds she's on makes her kind of foggy and are prescribed for 4 to 6 hours apart and the other 8 hours apart and we're afraid she will over or under dose herself the first few days. Another few days and she should be feeling much better.

2. Loading...

3. kate

kate In Flower

Your grandaughter has my sympathy 2ofus,

I was quite young but mine too must have been wisdom teeth because I was in a lot of pain. I have a great pain threshold till someone notices me wince. I hid it very well from mum till she saw my very red cheeks. Off we go to the dentist and I had six abscess' under six double/wisdom teeth.

Dentist could not take them out that day and gave mum an antibiotic meds. When we went back mum smoked six cigs before they managed to get me asleep...........:smt022

I do hope your grandaughter soon recovers, she will of course once the swelling goes down and she is off meds. Eating might be a problem for a while 2ofus.

Send her my good wishes for a speedy recovery.

K

4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

At 15 I also had all four of my wisdom teeth removed. I still remember the pain I was in afterwards so I sympathise with your granddaughter. I hope the pain meds help her over the next few days and that soon she'll be feeling back to normal. She made a wise decision to stay with you, as apart from anything else, a little spoiling and TLC will hopefully help her to a speedy recovery.

2ofus and Cayuga Morning like this.
  5. Ms kitty 01

Ms kitty 01 In Flower

Hope she is doing better.

Advertisement
  6. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

She is feeling a little better now. She is totally anti-narcotics so she decided to try not taking it but to continue taking the prescription Ibuprophen today. I think she needs it at least 1 day more and I will insist if it is necessary but at 15 she has to try it her way first.

7. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

She decided she felt well enough to go back home last night. It's a good thing she did as I had to go into ER late last night. My stomach started cramping and I got sick and broke out in a cold sweat and got so weak I couldn't walk. Woke Mike up and he called our daughter (a nurse) and she came over and checked me out and said that I needed to go ER. My potassium level was dangerously low so I was given a large bag (it seemed large to me!) of medicine intravenous. I'm still weaker than a new born babe but at least I can walk now. I'm trying to add more potassium to my diet but it's a juggling match to eat bananas and potatoes (they are the highest in potassium) but still keep my diabetes under control. Cross your fingers for me because I don't know why it dropped so low as I try to eat healthy and still had this problem.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2015
  8. eileen

Oh dear I was only expecting an update on your daughter. I got quite a shock when I read how ill you'd been. I hope you can get your potassium levels sorted out and will soon be feeling more like your usual self again.
    I have a problem with my kidneys that means I have to keep an eye on my potassium levels too. I'd like to share it with you.

Love Your Kidneys. Potassium levels to be aware of:

If it is 3.5-5.0………………………You are in the SAFE zone
    If it is 5.1-6.0………………………You are in the CAUTION zone
    If it is higher than 6.0……………..You are in the DANGER zone

This is a list of the foods I was given that are high in potassium that you may find helpful.

High-Potassium Foods
    Fruits
    Vegetables Other Foods
    Apricot, raw (2 medium)
    dried (5 halves) Acorn Squash Bran/Bran products
    Avocado (¼ whole) Artichoke Chocolate (1.5-2 ounces)
    Banana (½ whole) Bamboo Shoots Granola
    Cantaloupe Baked Beans Milk, all types (1 cup)
    Dates (5 whole) Butternut Squash Molasses (1 Tablespoon)
    Dried fruits Refried Beans Nutritional Supplements:
    Use only under the
    direction of your doctor.

Figs, dried Beets, fresh then boiled
    Grapefruit Juice Black Beans
    Honeydew Broccoli, cooked Nuts and Seeds (1 ounce)
    Kiwi (1 medium) Brussels Sprouts Peanut Butter (2 tbs.)
    Mango(1 medium) Chinese Cabbage Salt Substitutes/Lite Salt
    Nectarine(1 medium) Carrots, raw Salt Free Broth
    Orange(1 medium) Dried Beans and Peas Yogurt
    Orange Juice Greens, except Kale Snuff/Chewing Tobacco
    Papaya (½ whole) Hubbard Squash
    Pomegranate (1 whole) Kohlrabi
    Pomegranate Juice Lentils
    Prunes Legumes
    Prune Juice White Mushrooms, cooked (½ cup)
    Raisins Okra
    Parsnips
    Potatoes, white and sweet
    Pumpkin
    Rutabagas
    Spinach, cooked
    Tomatoes/Tomato products
    Vegetable Juices

9. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

Thank you so much for the list. I tried to look it up and didn't find near as extensive list. I have added a half of a banana twice a day and also a small potato. I also started taking an over the counter potassium pill. I don't dare do too much until I can get in to see my regular Dr. on the 3rd. I am having a hard time understanding why as I eat well balanced meals but because of diabetes I have to watch the amount of fruit I eat.

10. eileen

marlingardener likes this.
  11. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

That was extremely informative and I can't thank you enough! I guess I don't know the proper way to ask google search to find the things I want to know. The information you found is exactly what I needed.

12. eileen

It's my pleasure 2ofus. If I can help you out in any other way just let me know.

13. Evil Roy

Evil Roy In Flower

14. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Eileen, thank you! I have a friend with diabetes, type 2, and I am totally confused as to what I can offer her from my kitchen and garden. That list was of such help.
    The Stew is so helpful, so informative, and so reassuring!

15. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

Well I had another shocker! Originally I went to the hospital in our little town but I don't care for it. Yesterday I went to our preferred hospital and they called for the results from the first hospital. The test the first hospital sent said I was low on sodium! But they treated me for low potassium which I didn't need! They even sent a paper home explaining how to add more potassium to my diet. My own hospital did the full metabolic test and told me to drink a Poweraid as I was low on sodium but everything else was better than the last test they had on me. I have been cutting down on salt because of water retention. Boy this is getting to be a juggling game!

16. eileen

Oh for goodness sake how did they manage to get that wrong!! There's a heck of a difference between being low on potassium and low on sodium. Thank goodness they found out before you started raising your potassium levels too much. Ian was told that he had to keep an eye on his sodium levels as, in the beginning, they were too high. Now they are at the perfect level after we reduced his salt intake and his blood pressure has come down. I'm so glad that everything else has improved since last time and hope that they stay that way from now on.