Grape Jelly - Not jelling

Discussion in 'Recipes and Cooking' started by jehdah, Aug 22, 2007.

1. jehdah

jehdah New Seed

Hi all, this is Deb (jehdah), I am new at this so please stay with me. I made some concord grape jelly yesterday. I have made this before but it has been some time ago. I made 4 separate batches and made it from the recipe to a "T". The problem is that the Jelly only jell slightly. I sealed them in jars with the hot water method. Now what do I do to correct this? Please help.

Have a great day :rolleyes:

and Thank you for your help.

Deb

2. Loading...

3. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

Well, did you use a jelling agent or just cook and stir. Sometimes those with a jelling agent take up to 72 hours to jell. If not it makes great pancake syrup. You cannot return it to the pan. It doesn't work. I know from experience. dooley

4. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Hi Deb,
    I just PM'd you, I have a recipe for jams/jelly that fails to jell. I thought I had posted it here but can't find it, so I will get that done.

Also, forgot to say that I never use the hot water bath when making jam, jelly or pickles.

Toni

5. Primsong

Primsong Young Pine

I've had this happen with blackberry jam - I had a runny batch that we used for syrup, and a batch that was so thick it was like sticky paste that you couldn't spread. One of these days I'll get it right, lol...

Thanks for the 'jam fixer' recipe, Toni, if this year's batch does it again I'll have to give it a whirl.

Advertisement
  6. Trinton

Trinton New Seed

"Jam Fixer"

I am fixing Jellies for the second time this year and have not had to much trouble with my jelly setting. However, a couple of times I have had jelly come out more like syrup then jelly. Is there away to thicken them up after their initial setting period?

I found some "remake" tips online but wasn't sure about them, have any of you heard of these "remake fixes" and do you know if they would work?

Read here: http://www.solutions.uiuc.edu/content.c ... =3&item=94

Thanks,
    New to this fourm:

T

7. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Hi Trinton, welcome to the Stew. How about posting an introduction of yourself in the Welcome to GardenStew forum so we can get to know you.

I posted a fix for runny jelly and jam.....
    http://www.gardenstew.com/about7313.html
    I have used it several times and no it works. Good luck.