Grape like bunches sprouting

Discussion in 'Plant ID' started by Cloverr, Aug 2, 2016.

1. Cloverr

Cloverr New Seed

Hi y'all.
    My mother in law gave us her house. She has an established garden, and I'm a city girl, this is all new to me. Everything's going pretty smoothly, but I have something growing I can't identify. The stalk was so thick I thought sunflower, but now there's these grape like bunches sprouting... I'm not sure what this is, or how concerned I should be.... Any input would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

Philip Nulty likes this.
  2. Loading...

3. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Hi Cloverr,

I think what you have there is pokeweed. Those grape like berries will turn bright purple in time. Parts of that plant are highly toxic (the berrries, in particular I think). The greens can be eaten, but you would need to speak with someone more knowledgeable than me in order to prepare them safely. Remember the tune 'Polk Salad Annie'? It is a bastardization of Poke Sallat, the prepared greens of pokeweed. It grew wild where I grew up (New Jersey) & was considered a weed. As kids, we were cautioned about its toxicity, but we would make pretend dye out of the berries.

Philip Nulty and Cloverr like this.
  4. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Hi Cloverr,..unusual looking,..do you think those are seed pods or buds about to bloom?,..don't destroy it as it could be something rare,..wait to see what develops from those hanging orbs,..meanwhile i hope someone will come along and throw some light on your query.

Cloverr likes this.
  5. Cloverr

Cloverr New Seed

Thank you, thank you, thank you. Upon researching pokeweed, it Does appear to be so. I don't plan on preparing them, and as they can be toxic, I'm worried about my pups. We have a few coming up, and I don't want them to get out of control... looks like hubs and I have a project for the weekend:p
    Thank you so much!

Advertisement
  6. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Hi Cloverr,..delighted for you that Cayuga Morning named that weed for you :like:.

Cayuga Morning,..well done,..i was still typing when you posted and didn't see you had solved the problem weed answer :).

Cayuga Morning likes this.
  7. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Hi Philip,
    So I guess that means there is no pokeweed in Ireland? How about the song 'Polk Salad Annie'? Ever hear that?

Tooty2shoes and Philip Nulty like this.
  8. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Hi Cayuga Morning,..i think it grows here though i never heard it mentioned,..i must check,..ah 'Polk Salad Annie',..that's a real oldie,..though i never knew it was about Poke Weed,..two things i learned in this forum tonight.

9. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

The music is so loud I can't hear the vocals, but I have never heard of polk salad annie, either. sounds silly, though.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  10. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

The song was written and first recorded by Tony Jo White in 1969...several others recorded their versions of it later.

Click on this link, there is more information about it in our database.... Phytolacca americana (American Pokeweed )
    The birds love the berries and then spread the seeds everywhere they fly, it's easy to pull up when it's young and not too difficult to pull up when it's older. But I just let it grow, this time of the year down here it's pretty much the only plant doing anything but wilting.

11. mart

mart Strong Ash

Don`t worry,, none of the plant is toxic except the roots, that is an old wives tale that persists to this day. I have poke weed growing everywhere here. The leaves in early spring are eaten like spinach and taste similar. When young the stems can be peeled and steamed like asparagus or sliced and fried like okra. The plant does have oxalic acid but so does spinach, beet greens, cabbage, chocolate, black tea and almost all dark leafy greens. The berries are food for wild birds, and my dog loves them. We used the dark purple juice for ink when I was a kid. If the plant was toxic there would be no one left in the south because it is a spring staple. People drive the back roads here searching for poke weed. At this time of year it is too strong and tough to eat but next March or April it will be coming up again. You can also prune the plant back late spring and eat the new growth. All that is required is to wash and boil the leaves for 10 to 15 minutes then pour into a colander and let drain. When reasonably dry saute in oil about ten minutes and add salt to taste. We like to add one or two eggs and scramble those with the greens till done. Serve with hot buttered cornbread and a dash of pepper sauce. Poke weed also has anti cancer properties and about the same vitamin content as spinach.

Tooty2shoes and Cayuga Morning like this.
  12. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

Wow Mart you are one smart cookie. No pokeweed here in Wis. to bad. Sounds like something I would grow.

13. mart

mart Strong Ash

It really is delicious. Have no idea how the Toxic theory came about. I have eaten it in all its forms and I am still here. Many years ago my grandfather got bit by a copperhead snake and my grandmother made a poultice from poke root and pigs liver to draw the poison. Guess it worked for that,,he lived to age 97.

purpleinopp likes this.
  14. kate

kate In Flower