Greasy Bean's bean hut

Discussion in 'Member's Gallery' started by southern bell, Sep 5, 2006.

1. southern bell

southern bell Seedling

Hi all,
    I'm posting this pic for Greasy bean. It is a pic of the his bean hut that he engineered for the growing of his famous greasy beans. As you can see it's a work of art with all those bean vines growing over and creating a tunnels. I'm sure he will tell ya'll more about it.
    [​IMG]

2. wannabe

wannabe Young Pine

I've never thought of growing beans like that but maybe they wouldn't take so much room. wannabe

3. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

I'd be very interested to hear more about it. Thanks for posting the photo Gloria and let's hope Greasy is along soon to tell us all about it.

4. southern bell

southern bell Seedling

Greasy Bean's morning glories

I'm sure Greasy Bean will be along soon. In the mean-time here is one of his morning glory pics.
    [​IMG]

Advertisement
  5. cajunbelle

cajunbelle Daylily Diva

Lovely MG's GreasyBean, hope you tell us more about your bean hut, I am intrigued to say the least.

6. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

His morning glories look like mine even with the holes made by grasshoppers. I like the white one. I have had several of those this year. They aren't as plentiful as the other colors. Most are purple, pink or blue. I like morning glories. They cover the whole back fence. I used to grow beans in tents but not like Greasy Beans. Dooley

7. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

Greasy thats a neat way to grow them but I'm still trying to figure out how in the world do you pick the beansin the center of all those bean vines?
    Those are very pretty MG's I do love the color.

8. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I was thinking the same as Glenda. How do you pick the beans from the centre of the bean hut? Certainly saves a lot of space in the garden growing them that way though.

9. Greasy Bean

Greasy Bean New Seed

Hi Folks,
    This little bean hut was built from used timbers used by the state in the building a new bridge in front of our house. I split the cross beams from the 4X8 inch X 21 foot long timbers and the post from telephone poles from the same job cut into 10 foot lenghts split twice set 40 inches in the ground to form the frame. The top wire was around 6 foot from the ground and the bottom wire a foot. When the bean vines reached the bottom wire I attached the string for them to climb on and they soon reached the top wire so I put string across the top and had to train them to run it. They wanted to go up and all the time me telling them they had to run the string. They started to bunching up and climbing each other so I would un wrap them and put'em on the string. This went on for several days until they had crossed over the hut forming a nice roof.

As time went on and they got heavy I placed another wire in the middle of the rows from one cross beam to the other and thightened it as tight as possible for added support. As the weight increased I placed some long used oak hardwood flooring where needed for support.

The inside walls were covered with beans and very easy to pick and not a speck of dirt on any of them except the bottom clusters which is normal. One of our elderly neighbors that we give about 2 bushel to said they were the cleanest and prettiest she had ever seen. She had tried to buy some from a produce stand to can and they were asking $40.00 a bushel and she could not afford that because she is retired and living on a low fixed income so she ask me if I would sell her 2 bushel of the Greasy Beans and some of the half runners and I told her no that I did not have any to sell but I would give her some. We kept her busy for several days and are not done with her yet along with several other older folks. Some of the ones on our list really like turnips and different greens and our greens patch is now ready to pick so they better get their pots ready.

Some of the pictures that we post will not be as colorful as Ms.Gloria and the other folks post but they give us much pleasure so are beautiful to us and my friend that is helping me with the greens.
    I have never seen anyone that is as happy as he is when he talks about carrying things from his garden to the folks that need it. Now since he is in on the greens patch with me I will be able to watch him in person.

Guess I better go check if I can get in the other bean hut. I know there are beans that need picking but may be to wet.
    I need to answer Kandie also and a few others.

Check with every one later.
    G Bean

10. bethie

bethie Young Pine

I'm getting bean and green hungry just reading this. We are just starting to plant greens here. You seem to have the "greasy bean" touch. 8)

11. Greasy Bean

Greasy Bean New Seed

Evening Bathe,
    We will post a picture soon of what a mess of Greasy Beans look like and I will get a new picture of our greens patch tomorrow to give you an idea what we are working with. I have already posted that we are going to graze on some fresh greens this evening.

Wish you were near us so we could load you down with greasy beans and greens. Your greens will be ready before you know it. I wish our turnips was ready. I love them I would like to have a wood cook stove to simmer them on with a chunk of pork mixed in.

Hope you are having a great evening.
    G Bean

12. pondlady

pondlady Young Pine

Hi GB. What a great way to grow beans. Can you just walk down the tunnels?

Jan, the pondlady from New Orleans

13. Greasy Bean

Greasy Bean New Seed

Evening Glendann and Eileen,
    As I have said it is easy to pick the beans as we will show in a later photo. I always crawl on my hands and knees to pick the bottom beans so when my wife wants to help pick she just walks into a tunnel and picks from the walls. If she wants to pick from the ceiling I can lower it down to where she can reach the fat beans without having to reach up to high. We even have a rest station for her in case she gets tired she can take a break.

Eileen, I see you live near Garden Stew so I wish I could slip you some seed also and let you enter our contest on the best design of a bean Hut.

Hope you folks have a great evening/day.
    G.Bean

14. Greasy Bean

Greasy Bean New Seed

Hello Pondlady,
    Yes, After I pick the bottom beans so the wife does not need to bend over to pick them we can just stroll down the tunnels and harvest the beautiful shiny beans. It is a nice cool place to be when the sun is shinning because it it is so cool back in there.

Do you have a garden? If so how is it doing?

G.Bean

15. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Thanks for all the info on your bean hut I thoroughly enjoyed reading it and now understand better just how you go about picking the beans. I love the fact that you're sharing your produce with those less fortunate than yourself - we need more folks like you around. :-D

Btw I don't actually live anywhere mear Frank (GardenStew|) I'm afraid as he's moved back to Sweden. Even when he lived in Ireland it's still quite a way from where I'm situated in Scotland as I live on the east coast. (Near the Firth of Forth and Edinburgh on a map.) If you swap any of your beans with other members I'd love to see how they grow for everyone even although I won't be able to grow any of them myself.