green beans and fertilizing question

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by Melody Mc., Jun 11, 2022.

1. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

I have pretty healthy soil in my lower garden, with mulch added and mixed in every year. When I plant my legumes, I dust the seeds with innoculant to help them fix nitrogen from the soil. This year, I have planted some beans and peas as starts, and some as seed. Partly to avoid pests, and partly because my spring was so cold. Also to replace some stolen from the pea thieving meadow mice.

I have read that you should not fertilize beans and peas. I wonder what people's personal experiences are with this. I would think that everyone would like a little extra care, and I think my starts could use it . I would hate to make them unhappy though.

Sjoerd likes this.
  2. Loading...

3. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

We fertilize our beans and peas as soon as they appear, using a basic fertilizer like 10-10-10 or something similar. The soil is good, but a little extra help seems to be appreciated.
    I've never used starts for beans and peas--just planted seeds directly into the soil after an overnight soak in tepid water.

Melody Mc. likes this.
  4. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Ive never fertilized my beans or peas. I think the theory is that too much nitrogen will cause them to have too much green growth and no blooms - therefor no beans.

Pacnorwest and Melody Mc. like this.
  5. Odif

Odif Young Pine

I never fertilise my beans or peas. I use seeds or starts. Today I harvested my first green beans of the season. Planted earlier from starts. I still have yet to harvest peas or broad beans this year, they were planted from seeds. But still a few days away.

Advertisement
  6. mart

mart Strong Ash

We do not fertilize peas or beans ! However a tiny bit will probably not hurt ! Thing is you want to make beans or peas and not leaves ! Rather than fertilizer just add some compost ! That helps two ways and will not affect production !

7. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I never fertilise my beans or peas.
    The exception to this are runner beans. I do fertilise the ground about a month before planting them. I also water them quite a bit. I have even placed cardboard in the bottom of the holes where I the bean plantlets are to be planted and I soak the cardboard well before planting the little runner bean plantlets. The reason for this is to be sure that my runners have enough moisture throughout the summer.
    I do not plant beans directly in the ground because of what the ruthless voles do to them

eileen, Pacnorwest and Melody Mc. like this.
  8. Greenbeans

Greenbeans New Seed

I have two raised beds, each 2' x4' .....I use a cattle panel ( 4' x 16' ) to make an arch between the two raised beds. I planted Emerite Pole Beans on the left, and French Gold Pole French Gold on the right. I planted seeds around Mother's Day.....they are bearing a lot of beans now! They are very tasty. I fertilized them with some miracle grow when they were 3 weeks old. One teaspoon in 2 gallons water for both beds. That's all I fertilized them.

Attached Files:

Melody Mc., Cayuga Morning and eileen like this.
  9. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Greenbeans I am curious where you garden.