Green beans wash out.

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by Northerner, May 21, 2018.

1. Northerner

Northerner Mean Bean

So it done nothing but rain for the last 2 weeks and today I went out to the garden in between downpores and noticed the the soil that was covering the green beans had washed away exposing the seeds. Is it as easy as putting a layer of soil and compost over the top or should I dig up the seeds and replant with new seed and plant them deeper? And I'd like to thank everyone for all the help and advice I've received in the short time ivI' been around. It's really appreciated. Thanks

Growingpains and hummerbum like this.
  2. Loading...

3. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

During the few times we've had a lot of rain after planting seeds, and the soil washed off, I just took my forefinger and poked the seeds about 1/2" into the soil, then lightly raked over. I wouldn't advise this for a bean field, but a couple of rows, it works!
    I'm happy you are getting useful advice, and that you have expressed appreciation. So often members here go to some trouble explaining, advising, suggesting, and we never hear from the poster again. You, too, are appreciated!

4. Northerner

Northerner Mean Bean

I like being part of a social community of like minded people. I take pleasure in getting questions answered by a broad audiance. I also like helping others if I have something to add. Anyway... Thank you for your reply. I'll try poking them back into the depths and pray everything goes well.

5. mart

mart Strong Ash

We usually have quite a long row of Blue lakes ! I just do about the same as MG said ! even if the have started to sprout. Just as long as they are covered with a bit of soil you should be OK ! Green beans will grow if only one side is in the soil ! They are the one vegetable that I do not worry about being covered,,,and corn !

Last edited: May 22, 2018
    Growingpains and Northerner like this.

Advertisement
  6. hummerbum

hummerbum Young Pine

Northerner...don't give up. I don't know your temps there, but you have gotten a lotttttt of rain from your posts!!! Keep trying and keep talking to us, so you don't get discouraged and quit altogether and stop talking to us for tips, tricks, laughs, hugs and most importantly smiles!!!! I don't know which is worse rain or heat/humidity like what we have here in Savannah Ga. I gave up on my green beans just this week. The humidity and heat really did a number on them. Will plant in the late fall here. Keep your chin up!

7. Northerner

Northerner Mean Bean

I'm one of those types that look for instant gratification. Today is the third day of sunny weather near 75ish maybe more. I planted all my head about 9 days ago. I see a few sprouts, maybe I'll be ok. Now it's the cucumber zucchini and squash I'm worrying about. I just worry alot since I have so much invested in this garden. Thanks for the replies!!

Growingpains and hummerbum like this.
  8. mart

mart Strong Ash

All three of those like pretty warm weather. Just give them time !

Northerner and Growingpains like this.
  9. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Northener, worrying doesn't make a garden better, but smiling does! A happy or content gardener tends to do better work, watering, and harvesting. I'm willing to bet you have a bounty of produce and enjoy every minute in your garden, at at the dinner table :like:.

10. hummerbum

hummerbum Young Pine

Ahhhh, a true "Northerner"....always rushing!!! lol Maybe this is a time that you are supposed to look into maybe growing something inside. if you don't already. Start watching videos on hydroponics, if instant gratification is what you are seeking!! I grow hydroponically and what i have learned, is that many veggies grow quickly using that method. Have fun with it!!! Just a suggestion!

Northerner and Growingpains like this.
  11. Northerner

Northerner Mean Bean

What do you do when the rat race get to Racey? Go on a mini vacation to Wisconsin dells. We're on our way home now and I'm hoping to see some progress in the garden.

12. Growingpains

Growingpains Young Pine

Northerner, I too would just sprinkle more soil over the bean seed , tamp it down lightly and hope. We had a gully-washer rain recently, more sudden rain than I have seen before. I had to re-mulch some areas, but didn't lose anything except one Begonia, which I found behind the rose bush.

Northerner and hummerbum like this.