Green with black spots, pest or friend?

Discussion in 'Plant Pests, Diseases and Weeds' started by toni, Oct 27, 2008.

1. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

The purple Cosmos I shared a picture of the other day is being eaten alive :eek: Both blooms have one of these little critters munching away on them.
    I have done a search, not a real thorough one because my time is limited lately. But was hoping that someone here would know off the top of their head what this one is and whether I need to get rid of it.

[​IMG]

2. Loading...

3. playtime8978

playtime8978 In Flower

it appears to be a Diabrotica undecimpunctata according to the following web site http://bugguide.net/node/view/155258 its coomon name is spotted cucumber beetle, I hope this helps

4. toni

Yep, that's it. Thanks much!!
    Guess cucumbers aren't the only things they like to munch on. I think I need tocatch them in baggies and toss them in the trash. It appears they could cause me some troubles in the spring too that I will have to watch out for.

5. playtime8978

playtime8978 In Flower

Glad we managed to find out what the little horror was, I dont think I would like them in my garden, good luck getting rid of them, I hope they do not do much more damage.

Advertisement
  6. kuntrygal

kuntrygal Texas Rose

By all means, Toni, kill them!!! Hope they aren't full of babies! They are uggglleee!!!

7. Stephinalta

Stephinalta Seedling

I kinda thought it was pretty, as far as bugs go.

now, the american cockroach, thats an ugly bug.

8. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Your poor cosmos Toni!! I hope you manage to collect all those nasties before they do any more damage.

9. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

I got a tip from a long-time gardener on how to get rid of beetles in the blooms. One box of General snuff in one liter of water, leave for 24 hours, strain and spray. I'm going to test this on the lily beetles in spring.

10. Palm Tree

Palm Tree Young Pine

And if you do not have snuff - go ultra cheap - do not buy it especially - I was told that one can also use the cigarette buts that people toss away after they smoked - take the tobacco parts and put in in water - then follow much the same path as Droopy explained.

11. toni

Thanks for the tips. I caught two of them in baggies, more of the blooms have opened so I will be checking them frequently for more beetles.

Randy has a cigar when we sit out back in the late afternoons so I have a can full of cigar stubs out back that I am going to use for the spray. I wonder what damage, if any, the soaked cigar 'mush' that's left after straining off the tobacco tea will do to the plants if I pour that round the base of the plants. Those beetles lay eggs in the ground at the base of the plants they are feeding on, that might kill the eggs/larvae too wouldn't it?

12. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

I don't know about the larvae, Toni, since the chap didn't say and my friend forgot to ask. :( But I guess some ant powder on the ground would do a lot of good. I know the lily beetle larvae like that stuff, so I walk around with that little bottle and put ant powder just about everywhere.

(And I have typed "aunt" several times, maybe I ought to sit down quietly and wait for my brain to start functioning again.)