Greenhouse make over.

Discussion in 'Member's Gallery' started by Donna S, Oct 10, 2014.

1. Donna S

Donna S Hardy Maple

After scrubbing the gh inside and out Rich built me new shelving as old was rusting away. Now if it were only springtime. I so want to start seeds. :stew1: We used all the bubble wrap that fell down this summer to wrap the shelving for extra protection and to save heat and energy. I am so ready just got to get through winter blahs. Making a list for winter sowing. Addicted I am.

[​IMG]
    Old shelving. ( photo / image / picture from Donna S's Garden )

[​IMG]
    New shelving. Made from pvc. ( photo / image / picture from Donna S's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Grow lights, heat mats. ( photo / image / picture from Donna S's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Bubble wrapped shelving. ( photo / image / picture from Donna S's Garden ) :p :p

Sjoerd, S-H, Kiasmum and 2 others like this.
  2. Loading...

3. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

That is wonderful. You will be able to start seeds in there very well for the Spring. Very wise gal to have a Rich around.

Will you start veggie seeds or flower seeds? Or both????

4. Donna S

Donna S Hardy Maple

Anything I can Barb. I have some old favorites, but I love trying new stuff.

5. petunia

petunia Young Pine

I love your greenhouse. what is the top and sides made from--plexiglass? wonderful use of your shelves and the bubblewrap is a good idea as we are think of using bubblewrap to insulate windows. I'll bet you very well starting seeds.

Advertisement
  6. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

PVC shelving is a much better idea as it will last so much longer. Rich certainly made a good job of them for you. :-D
    I like the way you've used the bubble wrap and with your growing lights and heat lamps I have a feeling you'll be sowing those seeds sooner rather than later. :-D

7. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Gad meid--you sure know how to make a lad jealous. That shelving and subsequent organization in the GH looks quite spiffy.

You are doing an accomplished job there and the use of bubble wrap looks impressive.

Do you have a way to get the warming that is in the centre of the greenhouse behind the bubble wrap "curtains"?

8. Donna S

Donna S Hardy Maple

Petunia, gh is made of honeycombed plexiglass. Works very well.

Eileen, I think I'll keep Rich around. He comes in handy once in awhile.

Sjoerd, I have small fans that help move the air. Last year I was able to maintain about 75* no matter what the outside temp. was. This year I'm going to use a thermostat and try to keep gh at 50*-60* degrees day and night. I have one section for peppers under the bubble pack I will try and keep at 80* with the heat from grow lights and heat mats as well as the gh heat. I have extra insulation in this area.

9. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Mate, this system of yours is giving me the "wows". It really sounds professional and apparently works like a charm for you. You have this greenhouse of yours down to a "T".

10. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

I love your greenhouse and the new shelves and can see why you are anxious to start using it. I would love to hear (and see) what all you are going to start in your greenhouse (and how you do it) when you start using it.