Greenhouse Problems

Discussion in 'Greenhouse' started by waretrop, Jan 12, 2012.

1. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

I have a 15x26 foot greenhouse all glass. It's single pane and has been moved 2 times now. You actually can see them in the second picture.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The glass is slipping about 1 inch on allot of panels on the peek slopes. It was fine until we had some very very hot days. We probably didn't screw the little metal strips on tight enough. I was wondering if anyone had experience like this before or if someone knows a good greenhouse message board to direct me to.

We took every glass out in order to move it and broke many of the panes to do it. We really don't want to do that again because each piece is overlapped like shingles and you have to take many rows out to get to the problem panes. We thought we maybe could make a T shaped tool with long handle and put something like thin styro on the T part of the tool. Then on a very hot day sort of push it up back into place after unscrewing the metal strip beforehand, then screw the metal strip on tighter.

It's going to be a real pain in the neck and maybe costly. Hoping someone has another answer that would be easier and less likely to have glass breakage.

Barb in Pa.

2. Loading...

3. kathyd

kathyd In Flower

I hope you can find the answer Barb...it is a beauty of a greenhouse.

4. waretrop

Thank you kathyd. I love it. I have another one that leans to the house which is on a slab of cement and has my hot tub in it and has a sliding door into the house. The only thing is it is covered with plastic till I figure out how to get the double glass apart. It's got the old black magic between the 2 pieces.

Well, that's not the problem at hand. It's the sliding glass panels in the big greenhouse.

Primsong started this topic "Removing old greenhouse glass" Posted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 bit it didn't go ahywhere.I wish I knew what happened with hers.

I hope to PM her this evening.

Barb in Pa.

5. Primsong

Primsong Young Pine

Hello! Got your pm - goodness, it's been forever since I've been over here, it was sadly a casualty when I needed to trim back the number of forums I was trying to keep up with. I would love to say I've solved the problems with the greenhouse but I haven't, my husband tried things like heating the sealant on the old windows with a blow dryer to soften it and allow the glass to be moved back up into place, but it was to no avail. Then he moved on to other projects and I've been patching holes with clear acrylic I got in sheets from the hardware store as a temporary make-do until we can address it again (fixing the bathrooms and cars took precedence). In the meantime even more panels have slowly slipped down and I have even more holes for my grapes to invade through, rain to pour through, etc.

I am reduced to generally using it for storage and as a glorified cold frame, it no longer really functions as a greenhouse ought to. :-?

Sorry I couldn't be of more help!

Frank likes this.

Advertisement
  6. waretrop

Oh, So sorry for that. I am going to fix my glass problem and because of what you just told me. I will not let anything invasive grow near the glass.

Next summer in the heat, I will get that glass lifted up and then I think the answer is to screw the metal strips, over the glass panes, down tighter.

I thank you for joining me after I PM's you. Please join us more often. You had so much to offer us here. I looked at all 1700 posts. You have been here since 2006. You are one of our oldest members.

Good to know everything is OK with you.

Barb in Pa.

7. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Well miss--I do not have any answers for you, but I will say that when I have probs with my greenhouse, I call or e-mail the makers and they always help me out with problem solving or replacements.

Good looking greenhouse, BTW. ;-)

8. waretrop

The company went out of business. I called the company that is taking some calls for the old one and they can't help me. I think I will try to call another company that is like mine. They don't usually like to talk to anyone that doesn't have their product.

Barb in Pa.

9. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I have seen similar greenhouses for sale in Great britain...perhaps you could investigate that possibility.

I sure hope that you can find a suitable answer before you loose the pane.

10. waretrop

Thank you, I am investigating now.

Barb in Pa.