greenhouse time again....

Discussion in 'Member's Gallery' started by carolyn, Feb 2, 2016.

1. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Well, as busy as life has kept me this past 6 months or so I still have to keep up with getting the greenhouse up and running and without the effort now for a Spring crop there will be no Spring crop so...her are a few starts... some so little I can hardly see the seeds to plant them individually and some are so small they are like dust ....
    But first.. as I was cleaning the lexan I found this cute little flower. One I have never seen before. a jade plant offered this up. At first I thought it was the aloe on the next bench, but lo and behold it wasn't.
    100_1877.JPG

begonias.. they are tiny seeds.
    100_1881.JPG

dahlias from seeds...
    100_1879.JPG
    rosemary seeds. soaking to see if they germinate better. They are such poor %'s of success.
    100_1883.JPG

geraniums from seeds
    100_1880.JPG

This is the plumosa I started 2 years ago.. I finally have a saleable crop... whoo whee! 2 years! makes me appreciate it a little more.
    100_1884.JPG
    and the asparagus fern... miss bun bun ate it all off a few weeks ago... oops. I left it on the floor and she helped herself.
    100_1885.JPG

and Miss Bun Bun... she is the resident fertilizer factory. we recycled her from the park late last Summer.
    100_1886.JPG

And thats all folks... for now.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2016
    S-H, Frank, Droopy and 4 others like this.
  2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

How I wish I could raise seedlings in my greenhouse. Unfortunately the storms have caused even more damage and now it's more of a wind tunnel than anything else. :smt085 I have to admit that I'm a tad jealous of all you've achieved Carolyn.

4. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Oh.. I am so sorry for you Eileen. That is rather depressing to me. I totally would be so distressed if my houses were unusable... come on over anytime and jump in and work to your hearts content... anywhere doing whatever you want. Even just petting BunBun... she is sweet and friendly.. I can't imagine why anyone spent so much time with her and then dumped her at the park other than rabbit poop is pretty rank in a confined area. I don't even notice it in the greenhouse. She is litter trained to poop in a tray and all I have to do is scoop it out and use it.

But what I wanted to mention about that rosemary... I was just out in the greenhouse even though it is totally dark out and I am using a small amount of lighting to fiddle around... I looked at the seeds and they all have a big gelutunous (not sure if I have the correct spelling here) but the seeds are covered in a cloudy jellylike mass now..hmmm, I wonder if that will aid in germination... time will tell. I planted 1000 seeds last year and got maybe 2 or 3 to germinate... maybe they stayed too dry while sitting in the greenhouse.

5. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

It sounds as though your rosemary is getting ready to germinate. I've found that when seeds get that 'jelly' coating they begin to pop out roots soon afterwards. Good luck and I hope you get a high percentage to sprout for you.
    How I wish we lived closer to each other as I'd take you up on your offer. It's so frosty here that I'm not even going to attempt to raise seedlings. Maybe, if our weather ever improves, I'll start some next month and keep my fingers crossed we don't get any more high winds.

Advertisement
  6. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Mmmm, greenery! I can understand Miss Bun Bun. Those ferns look good enough to eat, even to me. :snicker:

7. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Green with envy over here too ~ I have always wanted a greenhouse!
    I planted Rosemary last year and only had one plant grow from the whole package. Maybe I'll try soaking them first this year.
    So happy to see spring is 'springing' somewhere!

8. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

I agree about wanting a green house...now it is too late for me, I do not plan on gardening in 3 years except maybe the small garden beds. If still in this home we will take out the large flower bed and plant a few evergreens...

9. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Great pics Carolyn. I really enjoyed seeing your pics. I admire the scale of your operation.
    I do not think that I have ever seen a jade plant bloom. Chapeau!
    The rabbit pellets from your pet--inspired.

10. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

OH, those greenhouse pictures are inspiring! I don't see how you do it all Carolyn, but I'm so glad you share your efforts with us.
    Bun Bun seems to have landed in a happy home, and one where she can "contribute" to the general welfare!
    Rosemary is contrary and I've always started mine from cuttings. I have two Tuscan rosemarys on my kitchen window sill, waiting for warmer weather to be moved outside.
    I may follow in your footsteps and try starting geraniums from seed next year. If so, I'll probably be asking you all sorts of questions about the process.

11. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Those Rosemary seeds--I have never planted any seeds, but my plants seed-out so easily...TOO easily, I am sad to say. Well, not really sad to say, as I keep finding places for them It is one of my favourite plants.

12. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Sherry... you need to keep gardening.. something somewhere, somehow. It is just good for you and your soul. keep on.

Thanks Jane... bun bun is a sweet one. Hopping all over and reaching up to nibble on my pant leg... I am afraid she is going to bite me but not on purpose. I must have gotten bit as a child once to have that fear. Geraniums from seed are easy. really easy. don't fear them. Cuttings are even easier to get larger plants sooner but seeds can be an array of surprises in color.
    That rosemary is my least favorite herb... I just cant hardly stand the smell. but other people want it so I try to grow some for a farmers market in early May every year. Once again... cuttings are the way to go. but I don't have much to start with from what I wintered over. most of it is still too hard to take cuttings from so I try to start seeds in Jan. I should get them started earlier or take lots of cuttings in the late Summer, but this past year I didn't even get the greenhouses cleaned up let alone worry over the rosemary. I am just now getting the cleaning done... slowly. I can't start out there today until I get back from a physical therapy appointment for my FIL. I have at least a 1/2 day to work... I hope.

Thanks S... never seen a jade bloom either, myself. I didn't know they even would.

13. Donna S

Donna S Hardy Maple

Love my greenhouse. It's my haven.

Carolyn, I want a bun bun.

Jane, I have planted geranium seed this year and so far have about 25 plants and more seed germinating. Now if I can keep them going until spring is another question.

14. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Donna... Yes you can! keep them on the dry side rather than keeping the soil moist. they are more likely to survive than an "overly damp soil" crop. good luck. you can even harvest seeds in the late Summer and use those for your next crop. I do that as often as I can. It cuts down on seed expense as geraniums are kind of pricey.