Greenhouses

Discussion in 'Greenhouse' started by gardengater, Dec 21, 2008.

1. gardengater

gardengater Young Pine

Does anyone have experience with the new pop-up greenhouses? I'm thinking of investing, but would like to know how much maintenance they take, regarding heat and ventilations. Thanks in advance. :shrug:

2. Loading...

3. mayzee

mayzee New Seed

pop-ups

I don't have a pop-up greenhouse but I did just build a Rion greenhouse. Since I live in NY, the pop-ups would not work in our winters. Living in NC, you probably could use a pop-up, but not all 4 seasons -- I don't think you can heat it successfully since it is made out of plastic.

The greenhouse I own is some poly-something (I can't remember the exact name at the moment) and it can be heated. I installed a vent-less gas heater and it works fantastic. But I haven't recieved our gas bill yet.

What do you plan to grow in your greenhouse? Or is it just for seed-starting?

Good luck to you and your project.

4. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I bought mine at a local garden center, it came from
    flowerhouses.com/products/greenhouses/Bloomhouse.htm
    I use mine for starting seedlings, winter storage, as a potting shed and general garden storage. This is my blog entry about my new bloomhouse.... my bloom house

I have been able to keep it warm in the winter with a shop light fixture and a 60 watt bulb, the temp stays around 70 degrees and kept several pot plants healthy and growing for the last two winters. We don't have the winter cold that some have but we have had several freezes and last winter we had several days and nights hovering around the freezing mark.
    The only problem I am having is the inner screen door is starting to rip from our excessive hot and dry summers the last two years.

5. gardengater

gardengater Young Pine

Thank you;
    I think I would have somewhat the same conditions as you, Toni, although not so hot. I plan to situate it under tall pines to recieve filtered light. Not sure what to put in it , but would like to start seeds and maybe house orchids.