Grocery shopping

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by marlingardener, Nov 12, 2016.

1. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

I admit to being frugal (my husband says I throw nickels around like manhole covers), and there is a relatively new low-price, no frills grocery in the next big town. We went there last week since we were in the neighborhood, and I stocked up on some holiday baking items (chocolate, vanilla extract, chopped dates, etc.). I had noted the prices of these items at our local grocery and I was amazed at how much lower the prices were. These are not cheap, pseudo-food items, but of good quality (I sampled the chocolate several times to make sure).
    Do you ever stock up on items at a bargain grocery?

Henry Johnson likes this.
  2. Loading...

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I will load up on some items at $ stores.
    I tried one of the stores that moved into the Dallas area about 5+ years ago and really didn't care for the taste of most of the foods carrying their brand so haven't been back.

4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

If a discount store here is selling quality goods at lower prices then I will buy them. As long as they have a decent sell buy date then there's no harm in storing them until they're needed. I've saved quite a bit with these stores so why pay more just for the name of a bigger chain store.

5. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Oh yes, I definitely take advantage of good sales! I am starting to wonder if I am a food hoarder LOL

Advertisement
  6. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

If it is a genuine bargain and I use it (and if it won't go bad) then I'll stock up :)

7. CJay

CJay In Flower

There's an Amish butcher an hour away. Because they don't have to abide by the excessive regulations forced by the state and federal government the prices are much lower than the big name stores. Beef is a buck fifty a pound there right now. Couple that with how well the garden did and the various hunting seasons and my grocery bill is almost non-existent.