Growing artichokes in zone 6.

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by Bert, Aug 5, 2011.

1. Bert

Bert New Seed

I cooked my first artichoke this Easter and I am totally hooked on them. There prices are pretty high around here and I am interested in trying to grow some.

I purchased some seeds and I have read as much as I could concerning this subject. I have some questions.

Being in zone 6, I would like to know if I grow a couple of plants now until it gets cold and trim them down could it be possible to overwinter them or would I be better off trying to grow them indoors in late winter and vernalize them?

Thanks
    Bert

2. Loading...

3. mart

mart Strong Ash

Had to read up on this one. Couldn`t find RI but did find instruction for Conn. Should be about the same growing conditions. Have you soaked and bagged the seeds ?? As I understand it You pack the seeds in moist sphagnum moss and place seeds in a plastic bag sealed for at least 4 weeks, refrigerated, then take them out of the cool and let them stay another 2 weeks at room temp before planting. If they do not produce the first year you can bring the whole plant inside and it will go, sort of dormant, then take it outside next may or so and it will continue and produce the next year !! I am assuming you are talking about globe artichokes. They say that Imperial globe and imperial improved, are a good seed type that are used in commercial production !!
    I think that you would be better off starting them indoors late winter since the seeds need cool temps anyway to germinate. The instruction said that the plants need 500 hrs. of 50 degrees or below to do well. All you need to watch is a hard freeze that would destroy the roots !!

4. Bert

Bert New Seed

Thanks for the info mart. They are Romanesco artichokes. I have half the seed packet in a bag with some wet paper towels. I going to try and grow some now and try to grow the rest in the winter.