growing Dahlias.....

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by Tina, Feb 23, 2009.

1. Tina

Tina Young Pine

I bought a bag (around 3 I could see) of dahlia tubers from Walmart for $5 last weekend. Now I don't know what to do with them.
    The temparatures here still drop to around 30s at night.Shall I put the roots in a pot and bring them to shaded patio or will they be fine in the garden - we get a lot of rain here in Seattle?

TIA!

2. Loading...

3. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

When I grew Dahlias I used to pot them in March or April and drive them a bit in a cool window before I planted them out some time in May. They don't like frost or very low temps.

4. gardenmama

gardenmama In Flower

I live in Vermont and I don't plant my dahlias until May, when the ground is very soft and the nights are not dipping into the 40's any more. I love the dahlias, but remember that you have to dig them back up in the fall, dry them and store them in a cool dark place. Not below 50 degrees though. I put them in a screen box and into the basement.

5. Tina

Tina Young Pine

Thanks!

I am going to pot them up till the temparatures warm up a bit.

6. claire909

claire909 New Seed

i am sharing my knowledge on this correct me if i am wrong Thanx in advance
    * In late-winter, put a shallow layer of damp multi-purpose compost in the bottom of a tray and place your dry dahlia tubers on top.
    * Cover with compost, leaving just the stem showing. Put in a light place and within weeks, new shoots will appear.
    * Select strong, healthy shoots about 7.5cm (3in) long and with a small sliver of the parent tuber.
    * Remove the lower leaves flush with the stem and neatly trim the base of the cutting.
    * Dip the bottom of each cutting into hormone rooting powder and insert three cuttings, 2.5cm (1in) deep, into a pot.
    * Cover cuttings with a clear plastic bag and secure with an elastic band. In about three weeks the cuttings will have formed roots and they can be re potted into a single pot.

Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/basics/t ... ias1.shtml