Growing dill in garden

Discussion in 'Herb Gardening' started by jo_jo, Mar 27, 2012.

1. jo_jo

jo_jo New Seed

Can anyone help.... We have grown a garden for many years but can't seem to get dill to grow. First few years it was beautiful and produced a ton, but last couple of years can't seem to get it to grow at all.
    HELP!!! Use it a lot in pickles and hate to go buy it in the stores!!!!

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. justin249
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. Brian1985
      Replies:
      Views:

3. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

When do you plant it? Here in Texas we plant it in the fall and it comes up in early spring (all over the place, which is why it's called "dill weed").
    Drainage may be your problem, also. Dill can't stand wet feet.

4. FountainMan

FountainMan Seedling

Glad I found this. I just planted dill seeds in an old muffin pan my mom gave me. I just planted them today. After hearing good things about SuperThrive I bought some and put a few drops in each container. Now I wish I had read up on the watering cautions. I didn't flood the container but managed to saturate the soil pretty good. The thing is sitting behind the kitchen sink in an East facing window so temperature should be mid 70's. While evaporation is slow should they be alright? I used half the package so if these fail I can start over.

5. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

I've used SuperThrive for years. I call it "plant geritol". :D
    I've accidentally used to much and have never had a problem with it.
    I've never grown dill... so I can't say for certain... but my guess is that they will be just fine.

Advertisement
  6. calinromania

calinromania Young Pine

What's funny, in mom's gardens...some years it's every-where, some years no-where.
    I mean it!
    Always from scattered seeds. Don't think she ever sows dill seeds willingly.

7. rockhound

rockhound In Flower

The swallowtail butterflies that lay their eggs on dill can take out a lot of it, they get big and eat all day and all night. Cute when mature but not for the dill gardener.

8. FountainMan

FountainMan Seedling

Had the same problem with Cilantro. Planted it a few years ago in pots and it took half the yard over. Sounds like I'l have to be carefull with the Dill or it will add the weeds. Love the favor of it though. It's expensive if you buy it at the grocery store. Today I spent 3.49$ on a little bottle. What I don't eat I can sell LOL.

9. Growingpains

Growingpains Young Pine

I have Dill popping up all over, but thats fine with me. I let it grow where it falls. If I see a stripped caterpillar on it, I know there will soon be a beautiful Swallowtail butterfly. Providing the birds don't eat it first!

10. Meadow Walker

Meadow Walker New Seed

Growing dill:

Dill likes a slightly sweet soil. Most soils are very acidic. October would be a good time to turn the area over and sprinkle a few cups of dolomitic lime on the soil. Work it in with a rake and water well. Scatter the dill seeds on top of the soil, but don't cover them.

In the spring you'll have dozens of baby dill plants popping up through the soil.

Dill likes full sun and well drained soil, check to see if nearby trees are shading the area where the dill grew previously.

One last, but not least, important fact. It could be the variety of dill you've been growing. Try growing fern leaf dill next spring. This is a compact variety that produces the most beautiful fern like leaves. The best for pickles and herb vinegars.

I hope this advice was helpful.

Frank likes this.