Growing from seed advice

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by Mirepoux, Nov 17, 2018.

1. Mirepoux

Mirepoux New Seed

Hi- I am new to both the forum and flower gardening. I have a flower bed about 3 feet wide by 100 feet long that I’d like to fill with zinnias next year. I’d like to grow them from seed. I saw something on Youtube about starting the seeds in plastic milk jugs set out in the yard which act like tiny greenhouses. That option seems attractive in that I wouldn’t have to buy grow lights, a timer, heating pads or whatever else is involved, and I wouldn’t have to worry about killing seedlings while trying to harden them. However, I don’t drink milk, I don’t have access to jugs, and I’d rather buy something comparable than root around in my neighbors’ recyclables.

I saw some seed trays with clear covered lids, but the pictures showed them under grow lights. Can you use them outside (without roasting the seedlings), or is there some other professionally made outdoor seed starting kits?

Thanks

2. Loading...

3. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Mirepoux, welcome to the forum! I don't know where you live and garden, but in most places you can just rake up the bed, toss down zinnia seeds, cover them lightly with soil and they will take care of the rest. Zinnias are easy, colorful, make good cut flowers, and best of all, reseed themselves!

Cayuga Morning and carolyn like this.
  4. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

yep... just what marlingardener said. just toss and rake them in water it lightly and let them grow.

5. mart

mart Strong Ash

Hi there and welcome to the forum ! Just what the ladies above said as long as you are in a temperate zone ! may I ask where you are located on our globe ? That helps with any advice you may need !
    Try looking at your local market for any containers with clear tops like the baked goods come in !! As long as there is at least two or three inches for soil and clear tops they will do fine for grow houses if not better ! I like the ones with vents along the sides !

Sjoerd likes this.

Advertisement
  6. Mirepoux

Mirepoux New Seed

I live in Northeast Pennsylvania. The last frost date is May 31. I saw a YouTube video where seeds were sprouted on paper towels. Can you plant the sprouts right in the ground or do they go into seed trays?

7. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

You do not need to start zinnias inside, under a dome, or with heat. Zinnias grow, and grow well.
    I use the paper towel method to test the germination of seeds I have saved from last year, or longer. I put 10 seeds on a damp towel, close it in a clear plastic bag, and see how many sprout. Eight sprouts, I have 80% germination, and I'll use those seeds. Two sprouts, 20% germination, it's time to buy fresh seed.

8. Petronius

Petronius Young Pine

@Mirepoux, Marlingardener and Carolyn gave you good advice. Grandfather has grown tall zinnias from seed.

9. mart

mart Strong Ash

Thats right !! Just plant after your last frost date ! They will not germinate as fast as in cool temps but when they do,,they will grow fine ! Seed are cheap and if you want to get a head start just put them in anything that will hold soil and has drainage ! Use a small kitchen spoon to remove them and plant outside when it warms up a bit ! Just get below the roots and scoop them up !