Growing Jerusalem Artichokes

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by Sjoerd, Oct 13, 2008.

1. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

The "Jerusalem Artichoke" is neither an artichoke nor does it originate in Jerusalem.
    It's Latin name is (Helianthus tuberosus) and it is a relative of the sunflower. It is a robust plant, growing to a height of more than two meters. Their leaves are rough to the touch, but are narrower and more pointy than the sunflower's. They form tubers and that is why it is grown.

PLANTING: Plant new tubers in the spring. Plant them about 10cm deep and space them about 35cm-50cm apart...or in a "stand". You may need bamboo canes to support their great height as they will blow-over with strong winds.
    This plant does well in poor soil but with a little fertilizing the harvest will be increased.
    The Jerusalem Artichoke doesn't require anything further...only that the ground must not be too moist.

HARVESTING: Generally, one can harvest the tubers from after the first frost until March. You can harvest these throughout the whole winter, but I believe that it is best to leave the tubers in the ground and just simply harvest them as you need them throughout the winter. I say this because they have the tendency to dry-out quickly, and this has an adverse effect upon their flavour.

PROPAGATING: You can simply plant the smaller tuners that you have harvested. However, if you do not have enough tubers, you can cut the tubers into pieces (ideally with three "eyes") and plant those.
    ***I must say here that it is true, that if you leave bits in the ground during the harvesting, they may well produce plants.
    You can leave tubers in the ground on purpose so that next year you will have plants without having to plant any new tubers; however, it has been shown that your yield will be of an inferior quality--the tubers will be fewer and smaller.

We were offered some from an allotmenteer up the way. They were growing outside his fence and he was cleaning-up.
    It's cheating to harvest them so early, but I felt like eating some. All the literature was right, they have little taste when harvested too early.

Here's how we prepared them:

I washed and cleaned them.
    Cut them into discs and boiled them for about 5 minutes.
    Drained the water and fried them in butter and garlic.
    I found that what flavour they had was sort of "artichokey"...or "smokey". Later after the frosting they will be slightly sweet.
    I will try them again during the cold days of winter.

And now a few pics--
    The plants
    [​IMG]
    Their flowers
    [​IMG]
    Uprooted stalks
    [​IMG]
    Tubers brought to the surface
    [​IMG]
    Washed and brushed--drying on the sidewalk
    [​IMG]
    Slced tubers ready to be boiled
    [​IMG]
    Served with a stir fry
    [​IMG]

2. Loading...

3. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

It looks yummy. I'm so sorry they didn't taste much for you. But now you've got them, so you'll get to enjoy them next year, right?

4. playtime8978

playtime8978 In Flower

I have always wondered what you did with Jerusalem Artichokes and now I know, I thought they looked remarkably like ginger the ones you pulled, I would love to have a go at growing them but if they grow so tall my little garden is simple not big enough, maybe one day i can try :)

5. Biita

Biita Arctic-ally Challenged Forager

That is something i have never tried. I've never ate them before either. Its intresting that they can be left in the ground until about march, but thinking i don't think that will work here. (frozen solid ground) But it has always been a plant i've wanted to try. I might try this next growing season because of the leave alone kind of planting.

Your dinner looks great. One i can sure appriciate!

Advertisement
  6. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

What a nice reaction from you folks.
    BIITA..the tubers will stay intact to temps of -31°F

Some of you expressed a wish to try them sometime. I think that it is one ofthe easiest plants to grow that there is. Basically you plant the tubers and forget them unless you get drought conditions.
    That was the "upside". The downside is that they can be difficult to get rid of and quite invasive...so I would suggest containing the roots somehow if you decide to grow them for fun or food. You must be very thoroiugh in removing roots and tubers when you are through experimenting with this plant.

The plant does have some redeaming qualities in terms of nutrician and in fact it is excellent for diabetics as it contains a sort of polysaccaride.
    But that's another subject.

7. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

"The plant does have some redeaming qualities in terms of nutrician and in fact it is excellent for diabetics as it contains a sort of polysaccaride.
    But that's another subject."

I must try growing some in large pots as my husband is a diabetic - thanks for the info Sjoerd. :-D

8. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

;)
    At your service.

9. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

We have those plants popping up at work. I'm not sure where they came from and I always thought that for the size of the plants, the flowers were a bit of a disappointment-very small and not too showy. But if I can EAT the tubers, well lets just say these plants get another chance LOL

10. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

You are right, Netty--those flowers are small and disappointing. Additionally if it's been a particularly wet and cool summer they don't even bloom at all. These plants that were pulled-up only had the beginnnings of little flower buds. I have my doubts that they would have made it.

11. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

We have Sun Chokes here. That's the yellow flowers that grow wild every where. A lot of people dig them up in the fall and eat them. They are very good. I love the flowers on them. The wild ones do not have such big leaves though. dooley

12. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Well Playtime, you could always just grow one or possibly two plants only off in a corner or up close to the house just for the fun of it.

13. EJ

EJ Allotmenteer Extraordinaire

I have grown some this year - the tubers were given to me by a late friend so they take pride of place by my shed. They have made tremendous plants standing over 10 foot tall. I find them similar to water chestnuts, a touch on the bland side, but during the winter, when pickings can be lean, they are a nice nutty addition to a soup or stew. I won't be digging mine until after Christmas.

14. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I think that's a good idea, EJ--the temps will probably have been below freezing a time or two by then.

My parsnips were a bit blandish. I think they need a nip of frost as well.

15. enkagrl

enkagrl New Seed

do you have any of these available for trade or SASE? :D i would love some!

16. gardengater

gardengater Young Pine

As always, an interesting topic, Sjoerd. The photos illustrate them very well. I may try some, but from the store as I don't have the room.
    Gardengater