Growing Lavender.

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by mbwest, May 1, 2007.

1. mbwest

mbwest Seedling

I always thought that you could pretty much stick any plant/flower in the ground and something will grow if you have half decent soil and keep it well watered.

At the moment I want to try and grow some lavender, im not sure if i need to start this off in a pot or what.

I have 150 seeds, how many do i plant? how far apart?

I was going to pant about 8 all together in about 8cm2 and keep it well watered in my rockery and hope it will grow?

Will this work? The packet talks about putting it in "cold-Frames", "thinning seedlings" and "planting them out" - I haven't a clue.

WOW - this site has come on leaps and bounds, I am hoping to post some pictures in my OLD thread tomorrow so you can see how far it has all come. It's not great but i'm pleased.

2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

4. bethie

bethie Young Pine

Good luck. I would buy a small plant just in case. Like many herbs,once established, lavender doesn't like a lot of water. 8)

5. mbwest

mbwest Seedling

Great to hear from you too. I will have a look at those sites.
    I cheated already and bought a potted one, but will still give the seeds a go.
    In regards to taking cuttings, i'd be curious to know how that works, could you advise if it is not in those sites. If it is please ignore me.
    How is all your gardening coming on Eileen? The site looks great now! its really come a long way and seems to have lots more members.

Advertisement
  6. Tina

Tina Young Pine

My lavender seeds have sprouted!! But they took their own time to do so - about 2 months!!
    They are about a inch tall now. I wonder how they will do. Will post pics when they are a little bigger.

7. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

My garden is really lush at the moment with all the sunshine we've been having. I hate to leave it and go on holiday just as everything is bursting into flower though. :( I've told my eldest son to take piccies for me so that at least I can see them when I get home. Me a garden addict? NEVER!!! :rolleyes:

You're right the forums have really come alive since you last visited and are still growing. Nearly 57,000 posts already!! You'll have some task ahead of you if you want to catch up on everything that's been happening here since your last visit. :D :D

Btw the websites do tell you how to grow lavender from cuttings. :-D

'See' you when I get back on the 15th. Good luck with those seeds.