Growing lettuce, spinach, in Zone 8 ???

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by Henry Johnson, Sep 9, 2012.

1. Henry Johnson

Henry Johnson In Flower

Hi, Folks;
    As you may remember, I'm moving up to AL, Zone 8a from FL, zone 9b.. Growing lettuce or spinach in zone 9 has been an exercise in futility for me..
    Since I love these veggies I'm hoping to be able to grow them in zone 8; so, any helpful hints, tips from any of you folks in z8 or z7 will be greatly appreciated..
    Seems that now (early-mid September) is about the time to be planting those crops??
    Hank

2. Loading...

3. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Hank, we are in 8b here in Central Texas, and I plant leaf type lettuces in mid-October, since the soil has cooled enough by then for the seeds to germinate well. (Bloomsdale Long Standing)spinach I plant at about the same time, or up to the first week in November. It doesn't do much, but overwinters and comes on great in February.
    I think you'll find both lettuce and spinach does well in your new place.

4. Henry Johnson

Henry Johnson In Flower

Thank you, Jane, for your reply and encouragement.. I'll try that spinach variety you mentioned..
    Hank

5. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

I didn't realize how spoiled I was to be able to grow that kind of stuff most of the summertime.

I realize everything doesn't grow everywhere for the same length of time or even at all but just didn't think about spinach and lettuce. that would be a hardship for me.

Barb in Pa.

6. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

Last year I planted at the end of November and had lettuce, spinach, swiss chard and kale all winter long. I planted carrots, too. They stayed small but were good in soups and stew. Most of them produced until it got hot in April. I might add peas this year. There aren't as many weeds to pull in a winter garden either.

dooley