Growing onions Question

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by Jerry Sullivan, Sep 7, 2016.

1. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

In the waining days of the fall of 2015 the onion drawer had several older onions that decided on their own to send out green sprouts. NO! NO! I told them but to no avail, they continued to produce greenery. Well, just for that i said “you are banished to the garden for the winter!” And so they whiled away their time during the frigid days of winter doing whatever onions do during those cold months.The spring brought life to the garden including the self styled onion patch. Along with the neighboring daylilies they marched skyward seeking plant Nirvana. As they grew, each of the true bulbs(a different story) put out the appropriate greenery and then defined itself with a single stalk sporting a……something…….on the end pointing north. The summer days waxed and then wained and the stalks dried. Now each sported the summer’s output defined as 5 groups of onion bulblets totaling 111. As with my cabbage excursions, not being a veggie grower, I find that it is time to ask my fellow stewbies a few questions.

IMG_1211.JPG

Do I save the bulblets in a cool dry place till spring?
    Do I plant them now?
    If in the spring. How soon/late?
    Will they take several years to get to be salad size?
    What of the parents of the bulblets? Do I leave them in the ground?
    Dig them up?
    Will I find anything there? I did not want to disturb them if I should leave them in the ground.

Aisle 20 gardener,

Jerry

Growingpains and Henry Johnson like this.
  2. Loading...

3. mart

mart Strong Ash

These are typical of some multiplying onions. Do you know what variety the onion was you planted?
    I have had onions that did the same but mine never grew. Of the ones you planted, you can use the greenery same as spring onions. I do that when I have onions that are too old and dried up to use otherwise. I stick them in a pot with potting soil. But mine are the granex type and will produce the greenery same as yours,,they don`t last long enough to know about the bulblets,

4. Growingpains

Growingpains Young Pine

I have what is known as Walking onions which sprang up from 2018 crop. I let them form seed heads. Now I wonder if I should save the seed or let them find their own way and risk having a Green onion patch in the Fall?