Growing sweet corn, what's your favorite and why?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by CatieBug, Feb 28, 2012.

1. CatieBug

CatieBug New Seed

Even though we have no shortage of sweet corn stands here in Nebraska I'm thinking I want to grow my own this year. Suggestions on good varieties please?
    Anyone ever grow "Honey 'N Pearl"?

2. Loading...

3. Desert Rat

Desert Rat The Dusty Blogger

I prefer candy corn but only on Halloween.

dr

4. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

All of the Se and Su corn that I have grown has been good. Our biggest crop is Silver King (not silver queen), which is a white corn, then Ambrosia which is a bi color. We have grown Gold Nugget for the earliest corn and was very good also. It was a yellow corn. You might want to try several varieties to stretch your season for corn all summer long, if you like it that much.

Just make sure you check what the corn is labeled Se, Su or heirloom, etc, before you plant it. You will cross pollinate it if it is grown too close and ruin the sugar content of the Se and Su types, if you are growing heirloom or older varieties that aren't Se or Su and the wind carries the pollen to the next crop.

Read up a little on the types available and understand them a little before buying seed, especially if you want to grow more than one variety in a small space.

5. CatieBug

CatieBug New Seed

I was looking into trying a white corn for something different. I don't have alot of space so I'll only be doing 1 type, so I gotta pick a good one. ;)

Advertisement
  6. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

CatieBug I to love sweet corn. But we quite growing it because of the racoons. :'( It was always a battle to keep them from destroying our corn. So now we just buy sweet corn at the local farmers market. Hope yours turns out yummy. :stew1:

7. mart

mart Strong Ash

Best we have found so far is Peaches & Cream a bi-color corn !! Not too tall, excellent yield, very sweet, good size ears and rust resistant !! G-90 is a good corn but had problems with rust !!

8. Danjensen

Danjensen In Flower

my first year trying sweetcorn too catiebug.
    I went with Honey select which is a SY type and a AAS winner.
    I've not got much space so have gone for one variety for the reasons carolyn mentioned.