GRROW - Golden Retriever Rescue of Wisconsin

Discussion in 'Pets' started by kaseylib, Apr 7, 2009.

1. kaseylib

kaseylib Young Pine

I just submitted our application to the Golden Retriever Rescue of Wisconsin, and this is a first for me as we've always gotten our pups through a breeder. We've got two "old boys" in our household now (a Newf and a Golden Retriever) aged 8 and 9.

We've always had two dogs in the house, but never so close in age, so I'd like to introduce/adopt a pup before our boys get any older. Then when they're gone, I will consider fostering/adopting an older dog (that's where the real need is).

According to GRROW, there are over 2200 Golden Retrievers in need of adoption in Wisconsin alone, and I'm sure it's the same with other animal rescue groups out there. I'm looking forward to working with a rescue group this time around, vs. going through a breeder, as there are so many dogs out there that need a second chance.

I'm wondering if any of you have ever worked with a rescue group before, and what your experiences were. Thanks in advance!

Logan likes this.
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. Logan
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. Logan
      Replies:
      Views:

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I haven't worked with one but we did get our Field Spaniel, Rambo, thru a local Cocker Rescue group.
    It was a very good experience for us.

He had been found in a field outside of Houston that summer and since the local group didn't have one available, a member of the Houston group made the 2 hour trip with him to the halfway point between Houston and Dallas and the local member met her and brought him to us. He was a wonderful furry friend for almost 9 years.

Logan likes this.
  4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

We got our Labrador from a rescue society too and it was a very worthwhile experience. There are so many dogs needing good, loving homes that I think it's better to rescue them than to encourage breeders to produce more pups that could end up needing rescued themselves in time. Blue was my faithful and loyal companion for many years.

Logan likes this.
  5. kaseylib

kaseylib Young Pine

Thanks for responding, and glad to know that your experiences were positive ones. We're looking to get a young dog this time around, so I'm sure we'll have to wait awhile before one becomes available. Can't imagine my life without dogs!

Logan likes this.

Advertisement
  6. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

I am so proud of you!! I've thought of doing the same thing but would not be strong enough to let them go when the time came. I'd end up with a dozen dogs!! We have had 2 golden retrievers through the years and you just couldn't ask for a better pet. How anyone could ever abuse or abandon them is beyond me :-x

Logan likes this.
  7. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

I never was near a rescue place.I was give my little Buddy Oreo by a neighbor and she got him from somebody that got tired of them pooping and peeing and threw him and his brother Levi out.His name was already Oreo and he was a matted mess and a cat scratched him in the eye.I finally talked my neighbor (after about a month of begging)into letting me have him.He was still outside and so skinny and his hair was so bad.I took him straight to the vet and then to the groomer and he has been taken good care of ever since.His eye wasn't out and he can see ok.I did rescue him just not like you Kaseylib.

Logan likes this.
  8. Palm Tree

Palm Tree Young Pine

I am still having a positive experience with my adopted German Shepherd. SHe was an abused little pup when I saw her with three other dogs on a small yard on the Cape Flats. THe two older dogs (the parents) were getting on in years and I suppose the owners just wanted one younger one. However the little they got that year consisted of two pups and they just gave attention and food and love to one pup and totally neglected the female pup. I begged them to let me rather take her and after about a week of going there everyday and feeding the pups they agreed. THus I got my Little Pan (though she is quite big now)
    She is such a joy and loves playing and is loyal and loving.

Logan likes this.
  9. kaseylib

kaseylib Young Pine

I guess I'm not the only sucker out there! I too know that any dog I foster in will probably become a permanent resident of my home. That's why I want to wait until my two older dogs are gone before volunteering for that role. They're not so old though that they can't walk down our steps to the lake now that the ice is gone and come up all wet with big smiles on their faces!!!

Thanks all for your encouragement, and have a wonderful Easter (for those who celebrate) and a happy spring!

Logan likes this.
  10. Calomaar

Calomaar Deputy's Friend

We rescued our Deputy from a family that couldn't keep him any longer. It was direct from the family, no service was involved. We, without doubt, got the best of that deal. Deputy (yellow Lab) was like another child and loved very much. Now that he is gone, we are sort of looking for another situation similar to that. A rescue service may just be a good place to go.

Tom

Logan likes this.
  11. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

Tom,I hope you do decide to get another dog not to take his place but have another friend so you want be lonely out on that deck.

Logan likes this.
  12. kaseylib

kaseylib Young Pine

Tom...we have our "house visit" tomorrow, and they'll be bringing a dog along to see how we (and our dogs) react. I'll let you know how it goes. Love your LOL photo!

Logan likes this.