Had No French Frogs, but we have lots of baby Toads

Discussion in 'Wildlife in the Garden' started by DianneWoollie, Mar 12, 2021.

1. DianneWoollie

DianneWoollie In Flower

A few weeks ago the smallest baby toad arrived huddled in one of our doorways. I took it outside somewhere sheltered and hoped like mad it would be fine..It came in twice more and repeated what I did before. Just last week I went to use a very long seed tray. Lifted it up and there was a baby toad, hoping it was the same one...Put the seed tray back and every so often would have a peep...The other day.. ..guess what, I found 4 huddled all together,,must be siblings, they were all the same sizes. Today I had another peep and there were just 2 together until they sensed my presence and scrambled to the seed tray edge...not so easy to see as depends on what your using to view the forum....
    4 toads.JPG

toads.JPG

Logan and Odif like this.
  2. Loading...

3. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

I like anyone who thinks toads are cute! I agree, totally.
    We have toads near the house and in the gardens, and frogs in the pond. In spring and summer we hear the frogs "singing" at the pond.

Logan, DianneWoollie and Chillie6 like this.
  4. mart

mart Strong Ash

Toads are insect eaters,, good to have them around !

5. Chillie6

Chillie6 New Seed

We have lots of frogs, they have taken over our small wild life pond. Pond currently has this years spawn floating on the top. :)
    54C4064E-88AB-4F79-896A-1A150FE76E68.jpeg

5B0BCC83-165C-46C0-852D-7879D1C58FE4.jpeg

Frank, Logan, cuatro-gatos and 2 others like this.

Advertisement
  6. DianneWoollie

DianneWoollie In Flower

Isn't nature amazing.
    One year whilst out in the Garden, I was hearing this noise like a tick tick electronic toned sound. I listened near a vehicle that was on the driveway and as I got near it...it stopped. Done that several times and each time I got near it stopped...Got Husband to have to look under the bonnet and see if anything looked wrong..as if..then I wandered about listening and realised it was coming from our 1st clean water drain that has a concrete cover..Lifted it up and there and behond was a family of Toads...It was the Toads that was making the alarm call sensing me as Danger..as if....;)

Logan and Chillie6 like this.
  7. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Chillie, love the photos of your wildlife pond, especially the frog sitting on the plank. We have several large branches at the edge of our pond, partially in the water for the frogs and turtles to sunbathe on.

DianneWoollie and Chillie6 like this.
  8. Chillie6

Chillie6 New Seed

Thank you @marlingardener. Wow turtles, do they wander in from the wild or are they tame ones you’ve stocked your pond with. The most exotic thing we get here in the UK is properly a newt. :)

9. DianneWoollie

DianneWoollie In Flower

we have had snakes in our pond in our UK home @Chillie6 and great crested newts that are a protected species...no toads but a few frogs....your photo's are really very good so clear compared to mine...

Chillie6 likes this.
  10. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Chillie, our turtles were here at the pond when we moved to the farm, and will likely be here when we get "planted." They are Red Eared Sliders. Red-eared Slider 3.jpg
    We also have snakes around the pond, in the pond, in the yard and in the barn. Fortunately, almost all are non-venomous. Here is a Prairie Kingsnake, which is somewhat uncommon, except in our pathway!
    Prairie Kingsnake 1.jpg
    We enjoy the wildlife, even if we have to be a bit cautious around some of it!

Frank, DianneWoollie and Chillie6 like this.