Haha! Cool! Growing celery! With a question.

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by Beeker, Feb 4, 2014.

1. Beeker

Beeker In Flower

My brother in-law made stew and saved the base of the celery. He put it in water and it started to grow. Unfortunately, he didn't keep up with it and it died.
    I just made some celery sticks for a party app, and decided to save the bases and put them in a bit of water. They're growing! That is so cool!
    Ok, so I admit, I'm a total newbie when it comes to growing veggies and actual real plants verses the aquarium plants I'm used to keeping. But each little experiment, and discovery is so amazing and fun!

When I transplant these little guys outside, do I bury just the roots and let the base sit atop the soil, or do I bury the base too?

CariAnn88 likes this.
  2. Loading...

3. mart

mart Strong Ash

I think I posted that on something you had written about leeks. I would plant it about an inch above the roots to hold it upright. You can also use celery to stamp with. the top cut part if you smear it in paint and stamp something looks somewhat like a rose.

Beeker likes this.
  4. Beeker

Beeker In Flower

Cool! Thank you!

I planted it in soil and started two more.
    Let's see how it goes. I hope to be able to plant it outside this coming season.
    My landlord has some lovage growing out there. It comes back every year. I hope this goes just as well.
    If I put it in a raised bed, would it be affected by the cold easier than directly in the ground?