Hairy vine !! Help !!

Discussion in 'Plant ID' started by mart, Feb 27, 2016.

1. mart

mart Strong Ash

I asked briefly last year about this vine but didn`t have pics . So took some last summer and the vine today !! It is growing with my grapevine and I am going to prune and clean the fence row but I want to know what this is before I start cutting and pulling it out. I did a search and found a person in Iowa that described the same vine and the Ladybird Johnson Wildflower center said they didn`t know what it was. I do have poison ivy growing beneath the grapes and this vine and some have said it was the same thing. But I have never seen poison ivy grow this way. Large hairy vine and a waxy type leaf with berries. Ideas anyone ?? Toni,, you are the go-to for plants we have no idea what is,,,what is this ? vine 1.jpg vine 2.jpg

Attached Files:

Henry Johnson likes this.
  2. Loading...

3. zuzu's petals

zuzu's petals Silly Old Bat Plants Contributor

:oops: I always seem to look at pictures before reading text -
    and "EEK! :eek: Poison Ivy!" was my first reaction when I saw yours.

Take a look at this page of images: Google images for vine ID
    I'd say that it looks like a good bet, but I could be wrong, and you're the best judge as to whether these images match your plant.
    I did this search by entering the key words "mature poison ivy vine", because a more mature plant does sometimes look a bit different from one that is smaller or younger.
    Note that some of the photos do include berries, as well as the "hairy" vines.
    My guess is that the smaller poison ivy vines that you see each year under your grape vines may be resulting from some of those dropped berries.

Be careful around it, and if you decide to cut all or any part of it down,
    please do NOT burn it.
    The oils which cause the dreaded inflammation become vaporized in the smoke and can continue to cause reactions on the skin, in the eyes, and even in the lungs of any person or creature exposed. Very, very bad news. :(

Last edited: Feb 27, 2016
    purpleinopp and Henry Johnson like this.
  4. mart

mart Strong Ash

Yes ,, that is the same vine. But I have never seen PI with a waxy leaf. I am well familiar with Poison Ivy but this is a new one for me. I am only mildly reactive to it and have to get the sap directly on me to break out. But I am going to have help in the yard and do not know about them. Yes I know about the burn factor,,a lady came in when I worked in Drs office that made that mistake. Was not good. Thanks for finding that link.

5. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Yeah... I am thinking it is poison Ivy, too. Ours has HUGE waxy leaves especialy when they are full sized but still young. Are there any berries on it anywhere? they usually have a pale (whitish) cluster of berries that the blue jays love.

purpleinopp likes this.

Advertisement
  6. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

I have seen two other vines that size and both are in areas avoided by humans. Penn State Extension has a poison ivy web site with advice and cautions on eradication of plants and vines. Judging by the size, the vine can support a very large canopy of leaves. While good to control soil erosion, it would seem to make grape harvesting difficult. Sensitivity by humans can increase with repeated exposure. While we do not appreciate the plant's attributes, the Dutch plant poison ivy to prevent soil erosion in earthen dykes.

Jerry

7. mart

mart Strong Ash

Have had no trouble with harvesting the grapes. Like I said, I am only mildly reactive to PI. Its really just in my way and can`t get to all of them. Usually I leave those that I can`t reach for the birds. But the grape vine needs a good pruning this year. I think I will get Jim (PI doesn`t bother him either) to cut the base of the vine with a chainsaw and use Round Up on the root. Then will let the vine dry up all summer before removing it. That should reduce the sap content.

8. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

Jim is lucky that the urishol does not bother him. If someone else, however, sensitive to urishol, comes in contact with tools or clothes they may end up with a poison ivy rash. The urishol oil can stay on tools and clothes for 4 to 5 years.

Jerry

purpleinopp and zuzu's petals like this.
  9. mart

mart Strong Ash

Carolyn the berries you can see in the pics but they are green.

purpleinopp likes this.
  10. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

I have to confess, I didn't even notice he pictures, I saw the big hairy vine and that was it. The berries are green because they aren't ripe yet... eventually though they will turn and pale whitish color.

purpleinopp likes this.
  11. purpleinopp

purpleinopp Young Pine Plants Contributor

zuzu's petals likes this.
  12. zuzu's petals

zuzu's petals Silly Old Bat Plants Contributor

purpleinopp likes this.