Hallo from Idaho

Discussion in 'Welcome to GardenStew' started by MountainGuardian, Sep 24, 2014.

1. MountainGuardian

MountainGuardian New Seed

Thought I would stop in and see what other people are doing with plants in their houses. My house looks like a jungle most of the time, it is about to get better, I just built a 10x24 plant room off the dining room which help me to overflow some of the plants from in the house into there. I have many succulents in the house, but this winter I want try and do some veggies, I have done some in the past, but I just used window light and never really grew much. I would like to see some ideas on growing a bit more. With the new plant room and some remodeling upstairs I will have about 400 sq feet of good growing area in the house. We always grow tomatoes here in the winter, we start them in early Feb and then plant the out in the spring, though the last two years they all died when we put them out in June, too cold overnight. I want to grow them in the house all year this time around. I want to start them earlier though and use lighting to improve the growth. I can get them to about four feet by May without extra lighting, my house has a huge amount of windows, but with lighting I am hoping to get better growth and finally get some actual tomatoes.

Georgia Girl Beth likes this.
  2. Loading...

3. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Hi MountainGuardian and a hearty welcome to GardenStew! Wishing you best of luck with your new plant room, it sure sounds exciting :stew2: Make yourself at home here :)

4. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

Hi and welcome from SE Texas. I saw your other post with all your houseplants... NICE!
    I only have a few houseplants, which seem to get neglected since I spend most of my time outdoors. :oops:

5. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Hi MountainGuardian, welcome to GardenStew from north central Texas. I have seen the photos of your houseplants, you must have the cleanest indoor air around!!
    Looking forward to seeing them in their new plant room...and some scenery shots of your part of Idaho would be great too. ;)

Advertisement
  6. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

Welcome from Wisconsin....I am positively jealous, a PLANT Room !!! I am one that can grow things outdoors but not very good at inside plants, especially succulents. I did just read on the internet to water them maybe once a month, not weekely like I did do. I even killed my aloe plant.

I hope you share many pictures of all of your plants and let us know how things are going with your room.

7. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Hi there MountainGuardian and a big welcome this time from Scotland. I love the idea of your plant room and hope you'll post photographs of it for us to see. How I'd enjoy having all that extra space for my plants.

8. MountainGuardian

Pics of this area, well how about some pics of our farm for now...

Looking back toward our house from our pasture..

[​IMG]

Looking toward the house from our largest pond...

[​IMG]

Down by the county road...

[​IMG]

Looking out over the pasture from the southern forest..
    [​IMG]

Our largest pond, full of catfish and turtles...
    [​IMG]

Wild geese that come every spring, they nest on the island in the biggest pond.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

We have a set of ducks that return every year and raise babies in our sewer pond...

[​IMG]

We also get a lot of deer elk and moose here, a pic of a moose hanging out in the pasture...

[​IMG]

A deer that the kids spooked out of the pasture and it ran into one of the ponds, I fished him out and we took him in and dried him off and released him back out in the pasture. The wife hates it when tat sort of thing happens.... lol.... she was in heaven with that little guy...

[​IMG]

Winters here are pretty harsh and we often have snow for 6 months out of each year sometime 7 months.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I put up about 8 cords of wood a year for winter heat, it is our only heat source here...

[​IMG]

I bought a mill 2 1/2 years ago and have it pretty well setup now, I use that supply the wood I need for building here on the farm and I sell some wood to others and contract out building bridges and buildings...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Building my log deck and trolley system...

[​IMG]

The first wood project built from our mill... a desk for our youngest son.

[​IMG]

My favorite time of year here is spring, I can then get some of the plants in the house outside...

[​IMG]

I have bee experimenting with vegetable plants the last couple years in the house, pretty cool really.. This is some cucumbers and peas I got going in the living room windows.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We have finally managed the last two years to get our aloes to flower, we learned about 4 years ago that they would and have been trying ever since to get them to do so, they seem to be doing it every year now.

[​IMG]

Well that is probably enough for now, maybe too much already...

9. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

For heavens sake...an aloe that flowers, I would have never known that. any tricks you would like to share with how you got it to flower? I suppose I better just try not killing mine. I think I have gone through at least 3 plants in the last 2 years.

It looks like you are keeping busy and trying to live off of the land...interesting pictures...thanks for sharing...

10. MountainGuardian

Not sure what happened to the first half of that post, gonna try again..

[​IMG]

Looking toward the house from our largest pond...

[​IMG]

Down by the county road...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Wild geese that come every spring, they nest on the island in the biggest pond.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

We have a set of ducks that return every year and raise babies in our sewer pond...

[​IMG]

We also get a lot of deer elk and moose here, a pic of a moose hanging out in the pasture...

[​IMG]

A deer that the kids spooked out of the pasture and it ran into one of the ponds, I fished him out and we took him in and dried him off and released him back out in the pasture. The wife hates it when tat sort of thing happens.... lol.... she was in heaven with that little guy...

[​IMG]

Cool got it to work this time...

Frank likes this.
  11. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

I just realized you are posting in the welcome area. You will get a lot more replys and people looking at your photos if you post the pictures in the other areas . The wildlife pictures would work in the wildlife area, etc. Check the areas out and you can decide where they should go. I am not positive but maybe most of them would work in the Members area. Sorry you went through all the work but I am sure others would enjoy looking at the photos so when you have time, please share.

12. donm

donm In Flower

Hi and welcome from PA.

13. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

Hi! and welcome from a fellow Idaho resident. I live in the south eastern corner. You must live up near or in the panhandle. You do have a beautiful place.

14. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

Hi MG sending you a big welcome from a Stewbie in Wisconsin. Wow you really do have a house full of greenery. Love the pic's. :stew1: You have a neat area to live in.