Happy Bastille Day!

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by marlingardener, Jul 14, 2015.

1. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Although we are not French, we do enjoy celebrating any French holiday by having a fine dinner accompanied by a French wine.
    Bastille Day is a good one--the French ought to have more holidays!

Henry Johnson likes this.
  2. Loading...

3. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Happy Bastille Day to all who celebrate it :) *insert French flag here*

4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

[​IMG]

Happy Bastille Day to everyone who will celebrate it today.

5. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

Yup! The Bastille Day, (which everyone has read about in school)! The day Parisian revolutionaries stormed the Bastille, a royal fortress that had come to symbolize the tyranny of the Bourbon monarchs. This dramatic action signaled the beginning of the French Revolution, at the end of which King Louis XVI (along with his wife Marie Antoinette), were executed - Along with tens of thousands of others. This also is where the famous guillotine was invented and put into practice!

But as times goes by, I guess it is understandable how tragic and brutally barbaric event in history later becomes a day of celebration, (specially when we now look at it in hindsight, and therefore can clearly see that it served the greater good)... However, when it comes to my country, specially when we too executed a tyrant like Prime Minister - The entire world got together and screamed bloody murder... :p Oh well, such is life! :snicker: But on that account, I think I too will now celebrate the Bastille Day - Vive La France!!!
    :smt041
    But jokes aside, seriously - I really do admire the French people for having a truly unconquerable spirit, which from time to time shows up in their leaders, from Napoleon Bonaparte, to General Charles De Gaulle. And what's more is that they (the French people) never compromise on their national interests. Even if it means upsetting the entire world, they still do what they have to, to safeguard their own sovereignty, by any and all means! Which is why they also successfully defeated the 3rd Reich, even though they got totally overrun by them in the start - Because they never give up easily!

Last edited: Jul 15, 2015