Has anyone grown Quinoa? Amaranth?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by Growingpains, Jul 2, 2012.

1. Growingpains

Growingpains Young Pine

If you're not familiar with this plant, its pronounced (Keen Wah). We buy it, so I saw seeds and thought why not try growing it? It looks very much like a weed I constantly pull from the garden, but all four pots have the same plant, so it must be the Quinoa.
    What about Amaranth? I began growing it several years ago, and it comes up voluntarily every year. We have eaten the leaves when very small, but haven't yet tried the grain heads. Perhaps this year.

2. Loading...

3. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Amaranth grows wild in the gardens at work. I weed it out and have tried to bring it into the kitchen for the chef to use, but he doesn't seem to want it. Same with the Lambs Quarters. If it was my home gardens, I would be eating it! Tell me ... are the seed heads of these plants a Quinoa substitute??

4. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

I grow amaranth as a leafy veggie and had no idea it can produce grains. I had collected the seeds too and they are very fine ... hmmm maybe it is a different species.

5. Growingpains

Growingpains Young Pine

Not having used the seed heads from Amaranth I really don't know a lot about them, but the info is available on google.

Advertisement
  6. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

I have grown it before but didn't know it was edible.Its so differnt and the head of it grows down to the ground.

7. Growingpains

Growingpains Young Pine

Netty,
    I am sure that Quinoa and Amaranth are different plants. I have Amaranth coming back from plants which dropped seeds years back, but I know there is a wild plant which closely resembles Amaranth, so I am reluctant to eat it now.
    The Quinoa I planted from seed bought at ACO. I am hoping I can trust it.
    I'm trying to find pictures for comparison.

8. Growingpains

Growingpains Young Pine

Quinoa

In case anyone is interested in growing grains as I am, the Quinoa is growing and I now wish I had planted much more. I have a plan for next year. More Quinoa!
    The seed heads are near blossom stage. Then comes the grain. I learned that I should hold a sack or pail under the seed head and gently shake the stalk.

Amaranth does have a look alike called Pigweed, which is also edible and I seem to have plenty. I think I will eat what we grow, but its good to know what grows wild and is edible in case.

Frank likes this.
  9. rockhound

rockhound In Flower

The wild amaranth here in TN has prickles and black seeds. I bought some "white seeded amaranth" to grow, just as an experiment one year. My chickens showed no interest in the whole seeds even tho they're tiny. Pain to harvest without losing a good bit of seeds too. I saved seeds but the next year it was mixed, mostly black-seeded, prickly. Discontinued it.

10. donm

donm In Flower

11. Growingpains

Growingpains Young Pine

Thanks Donm. The article is very informative.
    Rockhound, I understand your disappointment.
    I really have no need for this grain and green now, but I want to keep it growing as preparation for a possible future when it is needed.

12. Growingpains

Growingpains Young Pine

Growing Quinoa

Yesterday, I harvested about 1/4 cup of my first ever Quinoa. There is much more, but it isn't ready. I have huge plans for planting next year. I foresee an entire section of lovely plants bursting with all that protein.
    Its so easy to grow. The only bad thing is a few tiny black bugs, but easy to get rid of.

13. Growingpains

Growingpains Young Pine

Reading back in 2012, I see my great plans didn't happen. LOL I learned that my energy level didn't match my ambition, so Quinoa is now purchased at the Bulk Food store.

I did try a new, wild plant. Plantain seeds. I picked from a section of a neighbor's yard where I knew it to be clean, toasted the seeds and used them in something I cooked. I hope to eat more of the natural plants in 2015.