Has anyone noticed dead birds ?

Discussion in 'Bird' started by mart, Feb 23, 2021.

1. mart

mart Strong Ash

After the harsh weather we have noticed several dead birds ! And we made sure everything was well fed ! Corn was out in a large plastic lid in 2 places in the yard and I tossed a bunch on top of the snow so they could find it ! I kept apples out for the mockingbirds and others ! Several types died ! Sparrows, warblers and cardinals ! Just wondering if anyone found the same thing happen !

Dirtmechanic likes this.
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. mart
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. marlingardener
      Replies:
      Views:

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021
  4. mart

mart Strong Ash

Toni,, this was just last week ! Not that many to say it was from those causes ! But we had about 8 dead in our yard, even with plenty of food !

5. Clay_22

Clay_22 In Flower

Birds out in Texas were in shocked by the snow just like the humans.

carolyn likes this.

Advertisement
  6. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Mart, we lost a yellow rumped warbler and three robins. All the others ate seed and suet, and we made sure there was open water for the birds. We don't know why these died--no marks on them, no predator got them--they just were out in the yard, cold and stiff.
    On Saturday we counted for Cornell, and had 76 birds and 16 species.
    Wish we knew why the four died, so perhaps we could prevent it in future.

Cayuga Morning likes this.
  7. toni

Sadly there are people who do not like birds pooping on their vehicles, lawn or simply hanging around their yard and will put our poison to get rid of them. Freezing, starvation or humans are usually the cause of the deaths of wild birds. They could have eaten some poisoned food a little further down the road and it killed them in your yard.
    Also family pets, like cats, but that would not cause a massive death event and you would likely find piles of feathers in the yard..
    Just a thought....they could have been the older ones in the flock or already ill and nature just took its course.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021
  8. mart

mart Strong Ash

Same here MG,, No apparent cause ! Found one on the deck this morning ! Could have been older birds but hate it just the same ! I had plenty of peanut butter out So I know they had plenty to eat !

9. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Young Pine

The weather in the UK is mostly benign. No really big extremes in temperatures, cold spells don't last long.
    Today I went shopping in a short sleeve shirt, chinos and a light long sleeved sweater and I was warm enough. Just over a week ago it had been freezing for a week.

We live in a suburb of south Manchester, on the inside of a "D" shaped crescent of about fifty houses on our side. The gardens are small by American standards, about 30ft wide by 90ft long. But despite 6ft fences between them, it's a big area for wild life, even the occasional fox visits. Many residents put food out for the birds, so they have few problems. Birds that regularly visit our garden include, blackbirds, starlings, dunnocks, blue tits, a robin snd a wagtail. We discourage a couple of wood pigeons as they make a mess on the patio.

But no dead birds.

10. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I have not seen any bead birds, but have noticed a fall in the population great tits and blackbirds.
    It was on the news here a week ago that avian flu had been found in our country.
    If I should find any dead birds, I would send them off to the authorities for autopsy.

11. Dirtmechanic

Dirtmechanic Young Pine

A report on disease is out for this year, bird feeders being a collection point, the recommendation was to cease feeding and scatter them. We have a lot of pine sisken, and its hard to tell if they are sick because they just about will get under your feet when walking around. We have had a larger number dead I think. I mean unmolested by cats, just laying there.

12. Odif

Odif Young Pine

No dead birds here.

13. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

that is the truth. we had a yellow bird of some kind crying on the lines and in the trees... I felt so bad for it as I had no idea what it needed other than WARMER weather. it was so cold.

14. toni

Cayuga Morning, Frank and Sjoerd like this.