Has Anyone Used Electric Heating Pads for Under Area Rugs?

Discussion in 'Home Improvement, DIY and Repair' started by Jewell, Apr 4, 2012.

1. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    Has Anyone Used Electric Floor Heating pads for Under Area Rugs?

I saw/heard of these being used in Japan for small rooms as the main source of heat. The room size is much smaller than here. I was just wondering if anyone has used them and if so what the pros and cons are of their use.

The idea was worth a try since our electric bill has jumped since we included the "office" for heating. I ordered one to go under the 6x8 foot rug in the work space out there.

It would be nice to hear from anyone who has given them a try, or knows of someone who has tried them.

2. Loading...

3. Carol Blue-Garcia

Carol Blue-Garcia Seedling

Never heard of this. If you try it and it works, great. If it doesn't work then you aren't out much. When we went to Colorado and rented a house, the bed had a heated mattress pad. That was nice.

4. Jewell

Just an update on rug heaters...we are finding them awesome! Our office remodel had electric heat installed so we were looking at a way to lower the costs after some surprising increases in our electric bill. The initial results last spring were encouraging so we purchased a couple more, and put one in the living room also.

Late spring and early fall temperatures fal into the low 40's and into the 30's. Usually we bare the chill as long as possible before turning on the furnace. This fall we are in total comfort without having to turn on the furnace. The rug heater is toasty on the toes, and are keeping the chill at bay. Using only as much electricity as a light bulb we are feeling really positive about our purchases. Yes, we have purchased the timer/thermostat control extras also for convience.

I don't expect them to heat the rooms they are in as the temperatures drop, but as a supplemental heat source they are certainly improving on the comfort and the cost of heating. Can't wait until we can compare this January electric bills to last years.

Frank likes this.
  5. Stevia

Stevia New Seed

Well, I haven’t heard of this. However, I believe that Electric Floor Heating pads will only add up to enormous costs, increasing your electricity bills.

Advertisement
  6. Jewell

Stevia
    The rug heaters are awesome! We have had some cool weather months of electric bills and they are the same as last years bills with temperatures that have been on average 4 degrees cooler, and we are heating an additional 500 square feet. Our main heat source for the main house is an oil furnace and we have used hardly any oil because of the rug heaters. The electric bill is the same/less as pre-addition.

For the addition/office the rug heaters have been the only heat source. We have an electric wall heater and haven't had to use it at all (the wall heater made our electric bill spike when the addition was finished last February). The rug heaters have been so good we got a 4 more of different sizes for the rest of the house. I am a walking advertisement for them. Wish I owned stock in the company. There is nothing like a warm floor to make a house feel comfy.

The rug heaters are a little pricey, but I figured with the savings in fuel oil for the furnace alone they will pay for themselves this first year. :-D The dogs and cat love them Almost as much as my toes. ;)

7. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Jewell, What exactly are rug heaters and where do you get them? I was thinking you were going to use regular heating pads :eek: for this project and I was going, no no no, in my head. Not really a safe or good idea, and then I read this and it is a different but the same concept, I assume they are designed to be walked on...

8. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

LOL, re: heating pad under rug.....in my house we have an issue with a heating blanket on our bad.

My hubby wants it on the whole bed. I only want it on his half. Now mine. He wants it up on 5, I want it turned to 2.

Funny thing those heating thingies. :D :D