Have you ever seen this Rivere En Flandre etching

Discussion in 'Member's Gallery' started by GrandaddyDayCare, Jun 30, 2009.

1. GrandaddyDayCare

GrandaddyDayCare Seedling

Cayuga Morning, Tater and Jewell like this.
  2. Loading...

3. GrandaddyDayCare

Possibly from Belgian speaking region in the north, possibly nearby Damme or Bruggs? That is all the information I found on the Art websites.

4. Tammyd

Tammyd Seedling Plants Contributor

GDC, that is a beautiful etching. I googled it and there were mainly art forum sites listed. Hope you can get more info. :shrug:

5. GrandaddyDayCare

Am I reading the signature right ? If anyone knows what part of the world this river is in or is familiar with this type of art, any information would be appreciated. I have ask about it on some of the art forums and did not get any helpful information.

Advertisement
  6. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I've managed to find out a little information for you. Not much help I don't suppose but better than nothing. :-?

Gerard Van Santen was born in 1912 and died in 1972. He was not a very popular artist so I doubt if any of his works demand high prices.

The piece in question is an etching with a pencil signature. Copies were printed in the USA.

This method of etching is known as 'colour aquatint' meaning that it imitates the broad washes of water colour paintings.

Flanders is in Belgium - the Dutch speaking region in the north. The river is thought to be, most likely, the river Ghent.

7. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I read in pencil, "After G. van Santen". This indicates to me that the print in question is not the original van Santen, but rather someone else's print made of an aquarel (or possibly an oil) painting done by G. van Santen.
    The title means "River in Flanders" (translated). Flanders, or Valanderen, as we call it, is the half of Belgium that speak Belgian dutch (or Flemish).
    The title seems to be written in french, so that implies that there is some connection to France or the french-speaking portion of Belgium (Wallonië) which lies south of Flanders.

It would be interesting to discover who did this print.

The whole thing is a bit of a mystery:
    --A pastoral scene in northern Belgium
    --A french title
    --the word "after" indicating a reproduction
    --and the use of the word, "after" indicating further, an english speaking factor.
    --the capitalized "V". That is not normal in dutch--that should be a lower case "v".

Very mysterious indeed.

I would like to see that pencil writing closer up.

8. GrandaddyDayCare

This has been a very mysterious piece of art from the start. I found this in the attic of a house I bought. It was probably left behind accidentally because it was in the far back corner of the attic and was turned upside down with the paper backing facing up. When I turned it over it was a nice print of two Victorian women standing at the piano. They were in a nice frame and I was pleasantly surprised with my find. I later was going to have it re-framed so I took the backing off and discovered that there was the etching hidden behind the print as if someone was trying to protect and hide it for some reason. The house had belonged to an old doctor previously. I have had another person call me that saw where I had asked an art forum about it and he said he also had the same etching but could not find out anything about his either. Thanks everyone for the help. Every little bit of information helps me with my research on it.

9. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

You could try taking it to a museum of art or an art gallery as they may be able to shed some light on it for you. Even an antique shop could perhaps tell you something. Do keep us informed as it's all very myserious and intriguing.

10. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I wonder if you have anything like "the Antique Roadshow" which is shown in England...or "Tussen Kunst en Kitch" which they show here where people caqn brring their treasures in and have it identified by experts and a value given.

Is there a show like that in amerika?
    The idea of going to a museum and trying to let an expert have a look at it isa also an idea, like Eileen said.

11. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Sjoerd, we have a version of Antiques Roadshow here, on most PBS stations every week.
    GDC, check out their website http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/roadshow/resources.html to see if they have an appraiser that they recommend in your area or one you can fax a photo of the etching too.

12. GrandaddyDayCare

We do have the Antique Road Show but it is very hard to get on it. You have to apply for tickets which are then drawn by a lottery and your allowed to bring two pieces that have to be pre approved by the appraisers. I also have my Great Grandmothers bedroom suit which I have never seen another one like it in any of the antique shops here. I believe this could be one of the first bedroom suits built by the Thomasville Furniture Co. which started in 1904 in North Carolina. My Grandmother lived to be 99 years old and this was her Mothers bedroom suit. It will never be for sell, but I am curious.

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from GrandaddyDayCare's Garden )

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    made by Thomasville in N.C. ( photo / image / picture from GrandaddyDayCare's Garden )

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Neither wonder you're curious. It's lovely! And so is the etching. :D

14. della blue

della blue New Seed

GDC, Hi, my name is Debbie, I live in the U.S. and have this print also, my grandparents owned the print whch was given to me after their death, I actually went to Amsterdam and while there tried to find something out about this print to no avail. Antique Road Show is coming to my area and pending tickets I am taking the print. I found your post by looking up the artist name on the internet and bam, there was a photo of the print. Will keep you posted if I go and have it evaluated. If you have any more info about the print, would like to hear from you.

Tater and Frank like this.
  15. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
    Frank likes this.
  16. Jess Stryker

Jess Stryker New Seed

I also have a copy of this print. Mine is numbered "115" in pencil on the left lower corner. On the lower left margin of the print it has printed in machine type "No. 14405 PRINTED IN U.S.A, RIVIERE EN FLANDRE after Van Santén". Mine also came from my parent's house, my family heritage is Dutch and it is very Dutch looking, so they had it hanging in their house. Interesting to know it is Belgium, I suspect my parents would have been disappointed!

If someone wants to do some online research there is a list of the windmills in the region at -- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_windmills_in_West_Flanders With the help of Google Maps and street view you may find the scene in the painting!

I grabbed a photo of the lower left corner when I had the print out to rebuild the frame.
    2018-03-24 15.20.54.jpg

Cayuga Morning and Frank like this.