Have you started preparing your garden for the spring?

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by sgmgarden, Mar 12, 2014.

1. sgmgarden

sgmgarden In Flower

The sun has finally begun to shine in Scotland (for once!). This made me think about the garden and reminded me I'll have to get to work soon. I'll need to start preparing my garden for the season so I wondered if anyone else had started yet? And if so, what have you been doing? :)

2. Loading...

3. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

We tilled our gardens and I tossed compost on them. The potatoes, lettuces, broccoli, peas, spinach and carrots are all planted, although we had to replace the broccoli which got it by a sudden deep freeze.
    Pretty soon I'll be able to plant our green beans and move the cucumber starts to the garden.

carolyn likes this.
  4. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Well, It's snowing here, again, today.

5. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

We're getting down to some weeding now that the temperatures have risen a bit. Mind you there was about an inch of ice on the pond this morning but it melted by lunchtime. I've been planting bulbs and seeds in the greenhouse ready for putting out later on in the year.

Advertisement
  6. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

I've cleaned out the old stuff and weeded. Just waiting 'til next weekend to start planting.

7. koszta kid

koszta kid Young Pine

Still have snow on many parts. Melted a lot Monday. Cold last 2 days and windy.

8. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

The only shovel I've been able to use around here is a snow shovel! Another 10cm fell yesterday :(

9. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

I spent last weekend prepping my garden. Found all kinds of bits of green peeping out of plants that I thought had been killed by our particularly harsh winter.

But this being Nashville, where the unofficial slogan is "if you don't like the weather, wait 5 minutes!" the temps over last weekend were in the 60's, climbed to 78 by Tuesday where I had to briefly run the A/C in both my car and my house. Then yesterday it started out in the 60's, but steadily dropped through the day and by early evening was struggling to stay in the 40's, and through the night dropped down into the 30's. It's 29 degrees as I type this....day before at this same time, it was close to 60 already and on the rise.

This current weekend it won't make it past the 50's, and it will be raining. So no garden time for me, unless there's a break in the rain. I WAS going to mulch and put down some more border stones, but I really don't like the idea of doing that in the rain. :(

10. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

It is snowing here today :(... again.

11. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

Laaalaaalaaa I can't hear what you are saying about digging in the dirt. Sorry I'm such a grump. But as I have said before. I won't be able to get anything planted until July. It will take that long for the frost to get out of the ground.
    I can really sympathize with you Cayuga. We have been so blessed to have had the last snow storms miss us. Calgon---take me away. :stew1:

Jewell and Cayuga Morning like this.
  12. Atwood Terrace

Atwood Terrace Seedling

it's too muddy. The ground is saturated. It needs drains but I haven't figured out how to do that yet.

13. sgmgarden

sgmgarden In Flower

Looks like you have all been busy! I better get my gardening gloves on...