Have you tried growing celery from your store bought celery?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by Mrs. Galeassi, May 27, 2013.

1. Mrs. Galeassi

Mrs. Galeassi In Flower

I recently read that you can grow celery straight from the bottom of your store bought celery. I can't wait to try this. I already had some in the fridge and I am going to follow the steps. It said to put it in some water for a couple days.

[​IMG]
    5/27 celery start ( photo / image / picture from Mrs. Galeassi's Garden )

After the article said to just put it in the ground a inch below ground level and you should see foilage appear after 3 days. Being that I have a container garden I will use a pot and post an update. The article said never buy celery again. I don't know about that but it will be nice to have some fresh. :)

Have you tried this and how did it work for you? Id like to know.

moderator's note: added a more descriptive title to topic

2. Loading...

3. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

I've never tried it but sure am curious if it works or not. Buying a bunch of celery when you only need a little bit always irritates me. Why can't they sell it buy the pound/ounce/stalk?
    So.... I look forward to seeing how your experiment goes.

Mrs. Galeassi likes this.
  4. Mrs. Galeassi

Mrs. Galeassi In Flower

Yeah I agree and it always ends up going bad. I try to throw it in with whatever I'm cooking as not to waste it. Its actual not bad in stir fry... who knew... haha

5. mart

mart Strong Ash

I have done this and it works. It will shoot up from the center of the celery end. You can also dip it in paint and use it for a rose stamp.

Advertisement
  6. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

This should be interesting to try. I know a celery that is about to lose its bottom :)

Jerry

7. Mrs. Galeassi

Mrs. Galeassi In Flower

Now I have another reason to buy celery! Hahaha I want to try the stamp. Cool thx for the info. Mart. :) Good luck Jerry. Let me know your outcome. :)

8. Macbrine

Macbrine Seedling

Hah yes, there is alot of things you can do that with as well. Foods such as pineapples bok choy, romaine lettuce, garlic, leeks, scallions, fennel, sweet potatoes, cabbage and i think lemongrass

9. Mrs. Galeassi

Mrs. Galeassi In Flower

Macbrine thank you. I went on a google tiraid and found this article on some blackthumbgardening site about 17 things you can grow from kitchen scraps. Great article by the way. Also came across a fun kid project that me being a giant kid decided to try. You can grow pretty flowers in your home from carrot tops. They don't regrow carrots but there was a different couple of ways to do it. I chose the sand and water method, my dinning room gets tons of sunlight.

[​IMG]
    Carrot experiement 5/28 ( photo / image / picture from Mrs. Galeassi's Garden )

They said you can also stick in a small pot of soil just keep real wet, or you can stick toothpicks in sides of carrot bottom and let soak in water cut side down. Until roots sprout then plant. But I like this way, seems different and will make a great fresh center piece.

Hey Jerry wanna try this one with me? :) Come on you know you want too.. haha. Ok well I will keep you fellow stewbies informed of the progress and see if this works.

Donna S likes this.
  10. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

I am poking through the refrigerator for potential victims. :) Hmmmm I found some carrots!! Where are my petri dishes? Clatter clatter!

Jerry

11. Donna S

Donna S Hardy Maple

I'm off to the kitchen cause I just have to try this.

12. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

I've had carrots put on "greens" while sitting in the 'fridge for too long... but didn't know they flowered. Neato! Can't wait to see them.

13. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

OK OK...So does that mean When I grow it in the garden, if I chop of the whole celery off and leave the base in the ground, that it will regrow something on top again?????

That would be cool and maybe I can dig it up in the fall and keep it in the greenhouse for the Winter????

14. Mrs. Galeassi

Mrs. Galeassi In Flower

Exactly :) Well I hope... haha. They said so and apparently lettuce and cabbage and leeks. One article listed 17 things. Amazing! :)

15. Mrs. Galeassi

Mrs. Galeassi In Flower

Ok so here day 3. Going to put it in a pot today. Not sure if I should put dirt on the top where the sprouts are, any advice?

[​IMG]
    Day 3, Celery sprouts! :) ( photo / image / picture from Mrs. Galeassi's Garden )

16. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

I wouldn't put any dirt on top of the celery project. I would think that would rot the project out. just keep it moistened or plant it into potting mix if you haven't yet, not covering the celery, just let the roots grow down into the mix.