Have your tastes changed?

Discussion in 'Recipes and Cooking' started by marlingardener, Feb 19, 2022.

1. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

When I was a child I tried to eat sweet potatoes because my daddy loved them. Just couldn't get them down. Now, and for years, I have eaten and loved sweet potatoes. Tastes change, have yours? And how?

2. Loading...

3. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I have a number of things that I have changed.
    I enjoyed the taste of tobacco, alcohol and coffee and no longer do.
    Chocolate is something that I only mildly cared about as a child but now I am a bit hopeless when it comes to dark chocolate.
    As for the most of of other food types— well, I liked them as a child and still do; having said that though, as I became more adult my tastes became more adult as well. I began to branch out, trying food from other cultures for instance. I have travelled most of my life, so to a degree I had to eat other food types with which Were available in the various countries. There are so many diverse foods.
    I will add to this thread by saying that I have eaten a couple of disgusting things in my time, but the one thing that I had the most difficult time eating was something that turned out not to taste like it smelled. That was a fruit called, durian.

This is a good thread, Jane. Thanks.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2022
  4. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

My tastes have changed too, but the changes came after my pregnancies.
    Used to be an avid ice fisher, but when I was pregnant I couldn't stand the smell or taste of fish. To this day I don't like any seafood, and my youngest is 18!
    I hated cottage cheese and mushrooms as a kid, but love them both now!

Logan, Droopy and Sjoerd like this.
  5. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Yes! And quite a lot too. I was never a fussy eater as a child, but I had a hard time eating pure fish. I could easily eat dishes with fish in them, like fishfingers, only we didn't have those back then. Now I love fish, and if I had to choose between fish forever or meat forever I'd easily give up meat. I wasn't too fond of salad but now I can eat salad as an in-between-meals snack. And potatoes. I really like potatoes. There's a lot more of course, but those are the three big ones.

Logan, Sjoerd and marlingardener like this.

Advertisement
  6. harrylee

harrylee Seedling

My wife loves sweet potatoes, i am a meh on them. I like sweet potato fries though. I am going to try and grow some this year.
    My tastes have changed a lot since I was younger. I am not fussy on chocolate now, maybe once in a while. I love cottage chees and sour cream now, which you couldn't force down me when I was a kid. I remember my dad used to love head cheese and buttermilk. I am thinking of trying it.......lol

Logan and Droopy like this.
  7. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

My tastes have gotten broader the older I get. I think that is typical. I'll eat almost anything. I haven't had bugs though. At least not that I know of.

My oldest brother was a "picky eater" as a child. My mom catered to him and cooked, get this TWO dinners, one for us kids and one for her & my dad. Can you imagine? In her defense, we were all pretty skinny, i think she just wanted to get food in us. And she only did that when we were very small. My brother's tastes have since matured but he is still pickier than me.

My husband is Cuban, and when his mom first met me, she was thrilled with how much I loved Cuban food. After she got to know me better though, she was disappointed to discover that I just liked everything, and she concluded that I was just "undiscriminating"!

Logan, Droopy, Sjoerd and 1 other person like this.
  8. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Great account, Cayu. I had to chuckle. I really cannot imagine your mum doing that. I would have gotten a corrective tik on the back of my head had I voiced an objection. Haha, or perhaps nothing to eat at all.
    I also liked that your mil story. That was a good one.

One thing for sure, my parents and grandparents would not have begun on that path of separate food just for me.

Logan likes this.
  9. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Awww, @Cayuga Morning, I think I like your mother-in-law. Like Sjoerd I never got special food treatment from my parents or grandparents. But then I had children. Someone described it like this:

*me as a child* - I don't like that! May I have something else?
    *parents* - That's what you're having. End of discussion!
    *my children* - Gran, may I have pancakes for dinner instead of the fish you're having?
    *grandparents* - Of course, sweetheart! Do you want them starshaped or heartshaped?

10. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

I had a niece who, as a youngster, would eat no vegetable except corn. She, her two sisters, and parents were visiting and we served dinner. There was no corn and the niece started to complain. When it was explained there was no corn on the menu, she started to throw a tantrum. I picked her up by the shoulder, marched her into the bedroom, and told her to sit there and be quiet. Later meals were much more enjoyable . . . .

11. mart

mart Strong Ash

Being raised in the country sort of and producing most all our own food,, if it was put on the table we ate it and liked it ! I still do ! Things most kids now turn their noses up at,, I love !

marlingardener and Logan like this.
  12. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Like what mart?

Sjoerd likes this.
  13. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

As for me, my tastes also have gotten broader the older I get. Whenever I travel I like to try food that I have not eaten before and I can very clearly remember only one that I did not try is raw pork. This was in Germany and I was staying with a German couple in a small village called Brokeloh. I did not tried it because just before that I was offered some kind of maybe raw herring with onions. It was a whole fish and when I took my first bite the taste was really fishy, you know like biting into a capsule of cod liver oil ... ewe!!! It was a really fishy experience all the way, When came to the raw pork I had to decline. Sometimes when I think of it, maybe I should have tried it :)

Droopy and Logan like this.
  14. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

In the 60s didn't have so much of a selection of fruit and veg, a lot was seasonal. Back then I didn't eat a lot of fruit at all, but I liked my veg but only a small selection that we could get. Liked and still do potatoes, peas, cabbage, sprouts, cauliflower and carrots am A few years back started to eat sweet potatoes and celeriac but I went off them, hubby went off them as well and swede, so I don't cook those at all. Eat a lot of fruit now especially on my porridge and hubby does.
    Between us a peach, plum, apricot, nectarine, pear, a few pieces each of pineapple, blueberries, raspberries, strawberries and cherries. The cherries have to be a good price before buying. For lunch we have a banana each and I have a apple.
    Hubby can't eat roast pork so I haven't had that for over 30 years, no point in cooking it for me but he can eat sausage that's high in meat and bacon.
    Been trying to cut down on some meat. Found a good substitute for minced meat and sausage but those just once a week each.

Droopy likes this.
  15. Daniel W

Daniel W Young Pine

When I was a child, the only meats that I liked were bacon and Braunschweiger. I didn't care for most veggies either. I was a skinny kid.

Then on joining the military, we worked hard and fed fast. We had to shovel it in quickly no matter what it tasted like. Boot camp was in Louisiana. The mess sergeant was Cajun, so we were fed a lot of spicy food. I developed a lifelong taste for Tabasco sauce.

After the Army I became vegetarian. I developed tastes for spicy Southeast Asian flavors, especially ginger, Sambal Oelek, Sriracha, soy, sesame oil, but still like Jalapeños and Tabasco. I would like to find a recipe for vegetarian Braunschweiger. I used lentil puree instead of meat, and used the spices for Braunschweiger. That was pretty good. Maybe a hummus base would be better.

Lately I've had to tone down the spiciness but still love those flavors. Also canned fruits, my favorite snack. This week I made Rubens, using an air fried veggie bacon instead of meat. That was good enough that I made it again.

As a kid I hated Limas and Broccoli. Now I like them a lot. I loved potato salad and still do, but now I add Tabasco sauce to it. I loved deviled eggs too, and still do but again, more Tabasco. I'm still vegetarian after 45 years, but also had to stop milk due to stomach issues.

16. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Daniel, we visited Avery Island, the home of Tabasco. My stars, the size of some of the bottles in the gift shop! We have Tabasco in our pantry, and my husband uses it on the Cajun dishes I prepare. It is the only "hot sauce" I can manage to eat.

Daniel W and Logan like this.