Hello from Iowa

Discussion in 'Welcome to GardenStew' started by CJay, Apr 10, 2016.

1. CJay

CJay In Flower

Hello.

I'm CJ, CJay on here cause it said I needed more letters in my name.

So, anywho. My boyfriend and I just closed on our new home and property. So now that we're out of that dinky apartment we are going to get back into gardening.

I've been doing it since I was little and have missed it for the last few years. In anticipation I got a bunch of seed starters and they're starting to sprout. Now I just need the rain to quit for a couple days so we can get out and till up a garden. Yay!

My boyfriend already started food plots and we've planted rasberry bushes and wow with work and moving in has it ever been busy.

So yeah sorry for rambling. Thank you for having me here.

2. Loading...

3. wannabe

wannabe Young Pine

Welcome to the Stew from Illinois. Glad to see you here.

4. CJay

CJay In Flower

Thank you much. Its good to be here.

5. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Hi CJay and a hearty welcome to GardenStew :hi: Glad you have chosen us to share your gardening adventures and congrats on your new home.

Advertisement
  6. CJay

CJay In Flower

Thank you very much. There's so much to do that I'm a little overwhelmed right now. I suppose I should dial it back and take my time. But I want to at least start my garden this year.

Simple things for now. Corn and whatnot. But I also plan on starting Aspergus so it's growing well in a couple years.

It's the fruits that I really want to get moving on though. I love homeade wine. But it just takes so long for new plants to start producing. So getting them going now will mean I can start using them next year. In the interim there's a few mualberry trees on our land that I can use to make wine when they start producing. So yay for good wild wine.

Did I mention that I love wine?

7. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

Welcome from Wisconsin. I gardened for nearly all of my 75 years but now we are in an apartment complex and there's no place to garden. I tried a few pots in front of the window but it didn't work very well. dooley

8. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Hi there CJay and this time a warm welcome to our forums from Scotland. It certainly sounds as though you have your hands full at the moment!! Congratulations to you and your boyfriend on your first real home. How exciting to be starting a new garden together. I hope you'll post photographs of your progress - we love to see how others are progressing and especially like 'before and after' shots. I look forward to getting to know you. :)

9. CJay

CJay In Flower

Dooley. You wouldn't happen to have the ability to build a pallet stand outside your window would you? I fabricated one for my neighbor a couple years ago and it worked out great for him.

I took some half inch rebar and welded and bent it into a frame that hung into the window and made a big planter out of a pallet. He filled it with compost and planted right there from his window. He loved it.

Eileen. Thank you. It is exciting. But I'm afraid I'll sleep even less than I do already. And I love pictures. So I'll definitely post some. Matter of fact I'll go take some pictures of the little flower/fruit garden we planted in front of the porch after dinner. It's kind of pittaly right now and hasn't started to grow yet. But those three little raspberry bushes will produce well next year. Yay for fruit.

10. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

Hi CJay, welcome to Gardenstew from Chelmsford, MA. New house.....new projects....and pictures too!!
    She even welds rebar....Wow!! Looking forward to project and garden pics.

Jerry

11. CJay

CJay In Flower

Thank you much. I would have preferred to use square stock to build that frame. It would of looked better. But rebar was free.

I also hunt, fish, work on my own truck and bike and make my living as a millwright.

12. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Hi CJ! :wave:
    Welcome to GardenStew from southern Ontario!

CJay likes this.
  13. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Hi Cj and welcome.

CJay likes this.
  14. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

CJay--welcome aboard from a Stewbie in WIs. We would love to see pic's of your little corner of the world.

15. CJay

CJay In Flower

I will certainly add more. Thanks for the welcome message.