Hello from Northern Colorado

Discussion in 'Welcome to GardenStew' started by V for short, Nov 24, 2013.

1. V for short

V for short Seedling

Hi there, I went searching for a gardening forum, and this one seemed to be the friendliest and most active site around. I'm amazed the the incredible number of members from around the world that interact here. So I've joined and wanted to introduce myself.

I'm Vienna, but I've just been V my whole life (V for short). I just finished my Masters degree and bought my first house. One of the attractive things about the house was that someone in the past had put in a garden, and that's something I've always wanted to do. I'll be honest, I'm going to need a LOT of help, but it looks like this is the place to find it.

A little about me... I'm 23. By day I work for an environmental engineering company. By night I'm a personal trainer. I love fitness. I love nutrition. I'm always preaching vegetables vegetables vegetables to my clients. I'm excited now for the opportunity to grow my own. I love spinach, kale, beets, carrots, celery, squash, eggplant, and... you get the idea.

The only thing that is driving me crazy right now is that it's winter time (at least where I live). I'm a notorious overachiever in the family, and I don't like waiting if something can be done now. It's going to be months before I can plant anything. A couple of my neighbors have told me that around here mid-May is about the soonest you can plant IF (notice the big 'if') the Spring is warm. That's half a year away. It looks like the previous owners left the garden in bad shape. The soil doesn't look that healthy (which may be why they left it in such bad shape). So it looks like I have an uphill battle ahead of me. But I'll spend the winter reading and learning and preparing. I'm absolutely excited to be here and learning from some obvious experts.

Thanks all,

V

CariAnn88 likes this.
  2. Loading...

3. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

Hi V and welcome from SE Texas. I don't do veggie gardening (yet). So I look forward to seeing how you get that garden in shape.

4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Hello V and welcome to GardenStew from Scotland in the UK. Ask as many questions as you like as there's always someone here that can give you a helping hand. Take a look at this link and you might find that there are things you can plant in your area at this time of year.

http://www.gardenstew.com/plantstew/sea ... &19=0&21=0

I look forward to getting to know you. :-D

5. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Hi V, welcome to GardenStew from north central Texas. This is a very active forum even during the winter, most exciting thing in about a month will be when the seed/plant catalogs start arriving in mailboxes around the world. ;)
    And we love photos of gardens, future gardens, works in progress, pets, plants.

Do you live in the flatlands or mountains of Colorado. I lived in Evergreen for a couple of years in a 'previous life' and loved it but certainly couldn't do much gardening. :rolleyes:

Advertisement
  6. Henry Johnson

Henry Johnson In Flower

A most warm and hearty welcome to you, V !!
    I am confident that you will enjoy our community..
    Hats off to you; anyone who has earned their Masters Degree by age 23 is almost by definition an 'over-achiever.'
    You can begin some of the most vital work of all in your garden(s) right away (-IF- the surface is not frozen and/or covered with a thick layer of snow/ice).. The life and health of your garden begins and continues with the life and health of the soil..
    From one of your new friends, Hank..

7. V for short

V for short Seedling

Eileen, thank you for the link. It looks like a lot of reading material.

Toni, I'm right at the border of the plains and mountains (in the plains part).

8. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Hi V! :wave:
    Welcome to GardenStew from southern Ontario!

9. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Welcome to the Stew, which is, as you noticed, very active and friendly (also we love photos).
    We'll help all we can, and give lots of encouragement!
    We are in Central Texas, but gardeners are gardeners wherever they are, so I'll probably put my two cents worth in, which is a good assessment of my advice's value!

10. donm

donm In Flower

Hi and welcome from PA.

11. annieh

annieh Seedling

Hi V, welcome from East Tennessee! I'm new here also...you'll love it here, everyone is so nice.

12. jbest123

jbest123 In Flower

Hi V and welcome from Pa #2

13. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Hi Vienna from Pa #3 :rofl: :rofl:

You're gonna love it here...I guarantee it.....

14. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Hi V., welcome from Massachusetts

15. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Hi V and a hearty welcome to GardenStew. Yes the winter will be a quiet time in the garden but that means you have lots of opportunity to plan your strategy for next year. And you have a great bunch of folk here to help with that :)

16. TheBip

TheBip Young Pine

Welcome from Indiana :) I've never had much luck with veggies. I either plant them too early or too late *lol* so I tend to stick with flowers and herbs.