Hello stewbies, back from vacation, and back online.....

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by fatbaldguy, Sep 22, 2011.

1. fatbaldguy

fatbaldguy In Flower

Gotta tell you, I love Oregon. No real bugs to speak of. Garden or human variety. I don't think I saw 3 cabbage moths the whole week I was out there. Mosquitoes? NONE!!!

Weeds are another matter though. Horsetail is nearly as bad as bindweed and ground ivy combined. Well, almost, maybe, I might be exagerating a tiny bit.

Trying to convince the missus we need to move to the Willamette Valley. 9 to 10 months of gardening a year!

Nothing much more to talk about. Type to you all laterl 8)

Frank likes this.
  2. Loading...

3. SongofJoy57

SongofJoy57 In Flower

Welcome Home! :wave:

4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Nice to see you posting again and to hear that you enjoyed yourself in Oregon. It must have been great to have an, almost, bug free break. Welcome back. :-D

5. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

Sounds like you had a great vacation. I would have thought that Oregon had a shorter growing season. Learn something new everyday here.

Advertisement
  6. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

So glad to have you back, and also to hear that you enjoyed your vacation. You can move anywhere you want, as long as you don't leave the Stew!

7. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

FBG I'm jealous. I love Oregon especially the Willamette Valley. I was out in Oregon quite a few years ago and fell in love with the state. Especially the Bend Oregon area. Although Eugene is a really nice city.
    The only thing I didn't like was the fact that they have rattle snakes :eek: We had gone for a walk in a park that had a sign as you entered the park that said; Watch out for falling rocks, :eek: rattlesnakes, :eek: and poison oak :eek: . We guess which one I ran into. The poison oak :( But like you said the weather was super and come to think of it I didn't notice to many bugs either. Maybe your miss will think moving their is a good idea. :stew1:

8. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

Welcome back FBG, glad to hear you had a great time. No Mosquitoes? Wow! Looks like Willamette Valley made a big impression. But 9 or 10 months of gardening may be too much fun. :)

Jerry

9. Karrma

Karrma In Flower

no mosquitos? Looks like Oregon must have had a cold night, just before you came to the West coast to visit, killed the bugs. :sete_011: September is one of the best times to visit out on the west coast, because of that.
    T2S, Bend is beautiful, but it is east of the Cascade Mountains and is much colder in winter, and hot and dry in the summer. It actually is a difficult place to grow plants in Bend, a high cold desert area. Oregon climate zones vary from 4a to 8b, hard to predict.

10. CrisGzr

CrisGzr In Flower

9 - 10 months of gardening =
    1 month gardening + 8 - 9 months weeding LOL

11. Kildale

Kildale Nature's Window

I also like Oregon, love to go down there at this time of the year for the low tides. Really like to photograph the marine life.