Help - cherry tomato leaves going all droopy...

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by swmitra, May 27, 2012.

1. swmitra

swmitra New Seed

Hi there,

I recently transplanted a few cherry tomato seedlings that I had germinated from seed. They've grown well since, and couple of them have even started flowering. However, the leaves at the top of these plants that have started flowering, they've gone all wilty / droopy...

I thought it was too much water and stopped watering for a day... then the entire plant looked droopy... so now i am back to keeping the soil moist...

Pics attached below... pls let me know if my plants are in trouble?

Swapna

[​IMG]
    Droopy leaves in the right side ( photo / image / picture from swmitra's Garden )

[​IMG]
    And another pic... ( photo / image / picture from swmitra's Garden )

2. Loading...

3. mart

mart Strong Ash

It looks like the whole plant is in need of some direct sunshine. Are you trying to grow these inside or in shade?

4. swmitra

swmitra New Seed

In my balcony... that's all the space i have :(

It should be getting a couple 3 - 4 hours of direct sunshine in the afternoons... and I am in India so there's enought light and heat at this time of the year during the day!

What do you think?

Swapna

5. mart

mart Strong Ash

Are they this way all day or just during mid day when its hottest? How do they look in the morning when its cooler?

Advertisement
  6. swmitra

swmitra New Seed

Mart...The same throughout the day...

7. mart

mart Strong Ash

It looks like you have them in a typical 1-2 gallon flower pot,, if so that is not big enough for the root system of tomatoes. Even patio types. If it were me I would get a larger pot (at least 3 to 4 gallon) with some good compost or soil, (not potting soil) just dirt,, and repot it. Add 1 or two teaspoons of epsome salts along with whatever fertilizer you use, and water it in. Check the water but if its moist two inches down into the new soil, skip watering till it feels a bit dry. You want damp not wet or dry. Then wait and see if the plant does better. It may take a week or more to recover but you should have a healthier plant. And put it where it can get the most direct sunlight. Its not going to hurt the plant if it wilts during the hottest part,,all of ours here in Texas do that. you want a good perky plant in the mornings. That is how you gauge the total plant health.

8. swmitra

swmitra New Seed

Thanks... will give your points a shot...

not sure how many gallons these pots are, but they're standard 8 inch pots that we get here... would have loved to have larger pots except that i got a little space-stingy - got worried about how much space would get consumed in my little balcony :p

9. mart

mart Strong Ash

Eight inch pots are no where near big enough for tomato root systems. Thats probably why yours are not doing well. A tomato plant, even the cherry types can get 4 ft. tall or more. And they have a pretty large root system.