help identify insect

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by Jom KJ, Mar 30, 2019.

1. Jom KJ

Jom KJ New Seed

I'm seeing a lot of these insects and trying to find best way to control it. Any idea what this insect is and way to control it plz? TIA

Attached Files:

Growingpains likes this.
  2. Loading...

3. mart

mart Strong Ash

What plant is it on ?

4. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Actually, one thing you should do is take the photos to a local garden center....not Lowes or Home Depot they sell plants but most of them were working in plumbing last week....and see if they have anyone who can identify it. Not all insects are known in all parts of the country so asking someone local is your best chance. If you can not find one to take it to, get the information about your local County Extension Office....they are connected with a local state agricultural college, every state in the US has one or more locations. Do a search for Country Extension services in you area and send the photo to them. Questions are answered by local Master Gardeners as part of the requirements of their being certified as Master Gardeners.

Growingpains and Cayuga Morning like this.
  5. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

I agree with Toni.

In looking at your photo I think I see more insect damage than actual insect. Do you know if the insect is still active. ..ie more damage appearing? Maybe it was just a bug passing through. (Hope) Also, what does the underside of the leaf look like? See any insects or eggs?
    Another idea, check on the plant first thing in the am & see if you can spot the bug.
    Another suggestion: assuming you know what this plant is, look up what insects and deseases tend to plague it.

Hope some of this helps.

Growingpains likes this.

Advertisement
  6. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

looks like aphids to me. soapy water will kill whatever it is whether it is aphids or something else.

7. Growingpains

Growingpains Young Pine

Carolyn may be right. I had an Aphid attack on Brussell sprouts one year.
    They came so quickly it was too late to save the plants.
    Looking at your plant, I wonder if it's Scaly mites? I should research before guessing. We will be able to identify you via your finger prints! :like: