Help needed with sick tree

Discussion in 'Trees, Shrubs and Roses' started by soriold, Jan 4, 2016.

1. soriold

soriold New Seed

Hello,

My wife and I are in desperate need to get help diagnosing our sick tree. While we don't know exactly what tree it is, we have lived in the house for 3 years and always enjoyed its beauty and shade. We are at a totall loss and scared that it might be too late already but please see below of the "timeline" of events. Also, the tree generally keeps its leaves year round and once a year develops white, extremely fragrent flowers.

• Several months ago, we noticed that most/all leaves were dried out and were adviced to start deep watering once a month using a soacker hose for 24 hours. We have deep watered it twice so far and were told that many trees in Southern California / Los Angeles had been struggling due to the drought and low water tables.
    • Today we noticed multiple split branches on the tree, which we have never seen before. It starts at the bast of the tree and includes most of the major branches
    • Today we also noticed what appears to be some type of spongy white fungus at the bottom of the tree
    We would very much appreciate any help we can get at this point, since we REALLY don't want to lose this tree. We absolutely love it and hope that somebody out there can through us and the tree a lifeline and some recommendations.

Thank you very much in advance,

Stefan
    Dried leaves.jpg Split 1.jpg

Attached Files:

2. Loading...

3. Coppice

Coppice In Flower

Keep watering it, till your rains come. But it may be to late in the drouth. :(

Checking*. Those splits in trunk & branches, are symptoms of fully dried wood.

4. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Stefan, that doesn't look good. Coppice has given you good advice.
    Scratch the bark of the main trunk, not deeply but just enough that you can see if there is any green showing under it. If you see green, keep watering deeply and remove any limbs that the tree can spare (small ones, limbs that cross or rub other limbs) so as it recovers there will be less stress in trying to get nutrients up to the trunk and limbs.
    If you don't see any green under the bark, I'm afraid your tree is a goner. You may want to have it removed before it falls, or major limbs break off and cause damage.
    Losing a tree is a lot like losing a pet, and I understand how distressing this is for you.

5. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Your drought restrictions are much, much tighter than we have had over the last few years so using city water might be out of the question. But you can start saving the warm up water from showers and baths and actually collect the used water too. Use a biodegradable laundry detergent and collect gray water from the washer.
    If you do have to replace it, make sure the new one is more drought tolerant and native to your area so there is less chance of that happening again.

Advertisement
  6. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

I agree with marlingardener... Sorry, but I think the tree is a goner, too. It looks dead, not going dormant. Other than drought, which is the most likely culprit, Did it by any chance get struck by lightening during a storm (if you have had any lately)? The only other way I have seen cracks is extremely frigid temperatures and I am sure LA isn't going to have what we have seen for cold. The fungus? is it only on the ground? If so I don't think it is the tree that is hosting the fungus. it reminds me of what we call "dog vomit" fungus. It just looks like a dog vomited and it is yellow and spongy looking. usually it is on mulch in the flower bed.

7. soriold

soriold New Seed

Hi there,

thank you all for your responses and we will take a look under the bark. The "dog vomit" fungus description is spot on and what we read about on other sides. Not sure but it looks like it might be some type of root rot. By the way, the tree is a Victorian Box, which we finally figured out. Keep all the good suggestions coming, we will try whatever possible. Also, how much would you estimate to pay for removing a tree this size, including roots?

Thank you all again!

Stefan

8. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

You will need to get estimates from tree removal contractors in your area.. The tree isn't that big, but a lot of the cost is based on just coming.

9. mart

mart Strong Ash

Well, if the leaves were already dried out months ago,, I do not think anything you do now will help it. But so it isn`t a total loss,,that tree trunk is interesting with its multiple branching. Why not remove the top and leave it at about 6 to 8 feet tall and plant one or two pretty vines around the base? The vines could use it as a trellis and would add interest to your landscape. And be less expensive to remove just the top than dig the root up.