Help on spider plant (or others?) for dorm room

Discussion in 'Interior Design' started by Holdthescroll, Aug 16, 2007.

1. Holdthescroll

Holdthescroll New Seed

I have a HUGE dorm room to myself this year, but it is very lacking and dull right now. I have tons of space to cover up on my walls. Besides the super-standard posters, I would like to have some greenery inside my room to create an earthy atmosphere. I have no window sills to work with. I've also never worked with plants before, so this will be a totally new experience. Ideally, I would like to have a spider plant drooping over an entire wall. On top of that, I wouldn't mind keeping a few other miscellaneous plants in pots on my floor; though they can't be too small (dorm is seriously huge). How should I proceed? Any advice appreciated

2. Loading...

3. KHR

KHR New Seed

drom plants

You're on track with spider plants. I have a serious black thumb and managed to keep one alive for years. Other plants that took a beating: coleus, jade plant, philodendron, and I'm wracking my brains to remember the name of a trailing succulent that had roundish leaves with jagged edges...

4. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

Try a snake plant. They get tall and remove toxins from the air, live with little light and if you forget to water them they don't mind. dooley

5. Holdthescroll

Holdthescroll New Seed

To update you guys, I went out and bought a bunch of snake plants (3 different varieties), and one small spider plant (will be purchasing ~4 more of that size soon). I'll hopefully be buying a good deal of pothos ASAP. Before I can buy the pothos, I need to find something to elevate them about 6 feet or so off the ground in my dorm room (see my other thread). I need a shelf, but I'm not allowed to drill into the walls of my room; it needs to be free-standing. If you know of something cool/interesting that I can build or buy to do this, let me know.

Thanks for all the help, my room is filling out very nicely.