Help!!! The frogs keep digging up my flowers!!!

Discussion in 'Wildlife in the Garden' started by Lissakb, Jun 17, 2008.

1. Lissakb

Lissakb New Seed

I have 4 very pretty flower beds that I have worked very hard on :stew1: , however, every day I am having to replant at least 4 of my flowers due to the frogs digging them up !!! When I go to replant them, the frogs are burrowed at least 2-3 inches in the ground so I dig them out first and then replant the flower. Please, any suggestions on how to keep them out would be welcome. I know that frogs are a good thing to have around because of the pests, but I don't want them in my flower beds!!!!!!
    Have a great day!!
    Lissa

2. Loading...

3. Capt Kirk

Capt Kirk Thank a Veteran today!

They are more than likely toads. Frogs would be in more wet areas sauch as close to a pond. And toads do dig them selves in. You can purchase toad houses, that look like toadstools etc that would look nice in a garden. Give them an option on housing that they dont' have to work to create! Usually they will lay in wait for bugs etc to pass by and then zap they have them.

4. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

I like the toad house idea :-D It might be exactly what you need to save your flower beds!
    Deanna
    :-D

5. mary02

mary02 New Seed

Hi! i'm new in here... and i'm enjoying it.
    toad houses are easy to create and cost just pennies, as opposed to the decorative specialty type. and are eco-friendly....

invite the toads where you want them and they'll probably not dig in the flower beds. Toads should be encouraged to eat destructive or undesirable garden insects.

i am creating several Toad Homes for my yards. Just buy inexpensive, unglazed clay flowerpots.you can get them inexpensively at flea markets, garden centers may toss chipped or cracked pots out.

Take a tile nipper or carefully use your drill to chip an opening along the top edge part of the flower pot. it's not supposed to look pretty, and the hole should be around 3 inches wide and probably the same height.just avoid cracking the whole pot. set the pot upside down in the garden,in sheltered areas-away from foot traffic and not easily seen by predators... and they will come. among ground cover that's under taller foliage plants is a good spot.

you can paint them with outdoor grade paints if you wish to decorate, but the natural look of the clay looks great in any garden. you can purchase the saucers along with the pots and set them near the toad homes. they will gather a little water when it rains, which they will also like. to drink from or to grab unsuspecting bugs out of. the unglazed terra cotta absorbs dew and other moisture, keeping it cool inside.

if you live in a freeze zone, store them in the winter. in warmer climates, leave them out there year-round. i am going to try a long, rectangular terra cotta planter(shallow) to create a Toad Motel. I don't know if communal living would work, it's an experiment.

Jewell likes this.

Advertisement
  6. AddySmith

AddySmith New Seed

But the toads or frogs themselves have become a pest. You want flowers and not pests, correct?

moderator's note: removed website link, see point 1.1 of usage rules
    -------------------------

7. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    Toads are generally encouraged in the garden because they eat grubs, insects snails and slugs. We all hope for toads in the garden. You didn't say where you live so here is a site that mentions the one rule breaker, the cane toad. Be sure not to confuse with other native toads and frogs that are very often threatened or endangered.

http://www.wec.ufl.edu/extension/wildlife_info/frogstoads/bufo_marinus.php

Hope this article helps if you have a truly problem type toad.