Help w/ arranging bedroom

Discussion in 'Interior Design' started by a11111, Jan 31, 2008.

1. a11111

a11111 New Seed

I'm moving into a new apartment in a few months and the bedroom is 12'11" x 10'4" which is a little smaller than what I have now. I've been trying to figure out the best way to arrange my furniture, this is what I came up with:

[​IMG]

and this is another I kinda liked:

[​IMG]

There's a window on the wall on the right (opposite the door). The desk has to be at least a foot away from the wall because it makes my subwoofer sound better. Any ideas? thanks

2. Loading...

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

If you have drawn these to scale then you have too much empty space being wasted because all the furniture is cramped together along the walls. The desk that close to the bed and the bed shoved against the wall makes it difficult to get in and out of bed and almost impossible to change linens or make the bed.

Labeling the 'walls' of the room....top is A, right is B, bottom is C and left is D, give this a try...
    Place head of bed on D, not centered on the wall but just to the left of center....between center and the closet. If that doesn't leave enough space for the closet doors then move the bed over a little.
    Put the desk at an angle across the corner formed where wall A meets wall B.
    Then center the Piano on wall B between the desk and the corner where wall B and C meet.
    You would have room to place a small bedside table on the right side of the bed...the side opposite the closet.

4. a11111

a11111 New Seed

Thanks for the idea, not sure if I'm really following though, is this what you mean:

[​IMG]

I also came up with this:

[​IMG]

and I was looking at ways to have the desk so I'd be sitting facing the door (like it is in the picture below) but I couldn't figure out where to put the rest of the stuff:

[​IMG]

5. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Nope, none of those are what I was talking about.
    The desk diagonally across the corner is. Would the chair push up under the desk when not in use or does it have to sit out away from it all the time?

Is the bed a regular style bed, one that would sometimes have a headboard attached to one of the short ends? That is the end I was talking about putting against the wall, not the long side. If the bed is what is call a Daybed then you have it positioned the only way it will go and that doesn't work.

Move the piano back onto the wall it was on in your original first diagram.

If you put the bed with the short head end against the wall and there is not enough room between it and the chair, then put the desk flat on the wall with the window as it was in the original first diagram.

What does that look like?