Help! - White spots on plant leaves

Discussion in 'Plant Pests, Diseases and Weeds' started by Stacey Halse, Jun 12, 2019.

1. Stacey Halse

Stacey Halse New Seed

I have a small little apartment garden that has been absoltuely flourishing over the past few weeks. However, recently, my mint and basil (thai) plants have these white spots with areas of black at the edges on them. I don't know what it is and how to stop it. I don't want it to go to the rest of my plants if it is infectious. Happy to provide additional info if necessary.

Attached Files:

2. Loading...

3. mart

mart Strong Ash

What does the back of the leaf look like ? Do you spray or mist the plants ? Looks more like water droplets have gotten on the leaves and then sun has sort of burned them ! Is your garden inside or outside ?

4. Stacey Halse

Stacey Halse New Seed

They are inside by a window. I am using a spray bottle to water them (but changed it up today as I saw this was a potential problem). by stopping spraying them will the damage stop? I'm just hoping it is this and not something infectious! But when I look at them (the bottoms are fine except in some areas where the spots have gone through) it's primarily the plant leaves that are closest to the window.

5. Dirtmechanic

Dirtmechanic Young Pine

I hope the water was the problem and you fixed it. My mother made charcoal spots on the deck with empty wine bottles. It blew me away that the curved glass(es) and the sun worked together in such a random way. I guess a little dome of water behind a glass with the right sun might have the same effect. And water is awesome at absorbing infra red heat from the sun. The littlest layer is amazing. Just under the surface of a pool you feel nothing. But the water will get hot. 135f is nothing if the leaf is dark green.

I would make a bug spray too, if they do not correct themselves. Its the bug time of year.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
  6. mart

mart Strong Ash

I am pretty sure thats the problem if the white spots have not enlarged ! Its a good rule to never spray them while behind glass such as a window ! The window magnifies the suns rays and can blister/burn the plant leaves ! If possible put the plants in the sink if you are going to mist the leaves and let them sit there or on a counter till they are dry ! Always water the soil not the plant leaves! You can use the leaves even with the spots,, I have done that many times with Texas heat and my basil plants ! Your leaves look very healthy so I would not expect bugs of any sort !
    Both mint and basil have thin leaves and will easily blister/burn like yours has !

Last edited: Jun 16, 2019